Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:34pm
Quote: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Micro-porous paints and varnish recommends/tips?? (Read 16930 times)
braychurchmouse
GDPR opt-out

Micro-porous paints and varnish recommends/tips??
Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:34pm

Hi, ages since I posted here but I have a dilemma over painting the front door architrave (white) and also the door (wood varnish).

First the architrave....Painted maybe 10 year's ago with white satin microporous paint, with which I have been delighted. German Venti 1-2-3. It cost an arm and a leg and was quite difficult to get hold of but the sytem worked perfectly and has lasted for ages. Our neighbour has meanwhile repainted with ordinary gloss several times..and experienced wood rot too. So my question is...can I just recoat (after rubbing down, priming bare spots etc) with microporous paint...and is there a brand that people would recommend. I ask the question because I remember some advice before that microporous systems only worked if you stripped back to bare wood and then went through the complete system application (eg the three coat Venti system). .... or can i just apply a refresher coat on top of the old surface (prepared thoroughly of course).

So now to the door itself...a complete disaster 2 year's ago. I stripped down to bare wood with some proprietary caustic paste stuff and applied the neutralising solution, but must have got that wrong. I applied the venti micro-porous varnish system and it looked beautiful for about 3 months until it all started peeling off! Wife not amused. So, assuming it has now weathered sufficiently to be neutralised I intend completely stripping back again with a non-caustic paste and re-applying a microporous varnish system...my question again is..are there any brands or systems of microporous varnish that are recommended. Our local supplier mentioned Sikkens...just wondered if anyone has any recommendations or tips.

I tried a search on the forum for microporous, but no hits.. so any links etc for me to follow up would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your help...starting stripping tomorrow!!!!  Grint
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:35pm by braychurchmouse »  

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Micro-porous paints and varnish recommends/tips??
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2010, 6:20am

To be honest I am not a fan of micro-porous paints and question their validity. If the idea is to let 'the wood breathe' - whatever that means - or let the damp out then the proper solution is to remove the damp in the first place.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2010, 8:43am

One of the reasons SOFTWOOD joinery on old buildings has lasted for CENTURIES is that it was originally painted with a paint that was anything but micro-porous - LEAD based!

If Hammy was around he'd confirm that the secret of success in painting and decorating is all down to preparation. However, that said, your problem with the door sounds exactly like what happened to windows I made and fitted a few years back, luckily prepared and painted by the customer, albeit to the manufacturer's instructions which she followed to the letter. Trouble is, it was Osmo, micro-porous, eco-friendly, used in an extreme exposure location despite my advice because she "wanted the finish I want; I'M the one who has to sit and look through them." Fair enough. But clear finish, on oak. No pigment. After six months they looked as if they'd been in for six years with everything thrown at them. I told her not to tell anyone that I'd had anything to do with the job. She's just had them painted a sickly looking light blue-green colour, again Osmo "because I still want to see the grain pattern." Hmmmm. She teaches yoga.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2010, 11:15pm

[quote author=Joiner link=1279924485/2#2 date=1282635821]One of the reasons SOFTWOOD joinery on old buildings has lasted for CENTURIES  
[quote]

More over, because the softwood, was slow grown, then FULLY  SEASONED , not kiln dried, and was correctly selected.....

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2010, 9:05am

Yeah, always had a problem explaining to customers that the 'old' Baltic pine came from forests centuries old in some of the coldest countries in the northern hemisphere - hence slow-growth and a density we can only talk about now. Likewise, our own softwoods were from forests that had been slow-harvested with axes and two-man saws, where the local chippy had gone through the wood with the forester and chosen his trees. The carpenter at Colebatch (just outside Bishops Castle), who John Morris was apprenticed to and subsequently took over the shop (and his son from him), actually told the forester when he wanted the tree felled (according to how the season was progressing and the sap rising). Nowadays, we can only get as close as possible with what's available!

As for the subject of the paint - I've found the range offered by Womersleys more than adequate and without the hype of the F&B marketing department! Natural oil based, micro-porous (because customers seem more aware of such things nowadays) and with a wide range of colours.

Having said that... If no colour has been stipulated I'd still use Leyland primer/undercoat and the Dulux 30-minute gloss white on sash windows - for obvious reasons!! Smiley

IP Logged

braychurchmouse
Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2010, 12:37pm

Thanks for the replies folks. Nice to get some recommendations. Although the weather has delayed the job I thought I'd update y'orl with progress so far.
Went down to Brewers who recommended and sold me Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 plus. I bought the wallnut (dark) so I could cover the numerous imperfections in the oak.
Stripping went ok with Nitromors, really tedious getting all the gunk out of the panel grooves, but after my last disaster I was keen to get it right. Washed down with white spirit so as not to have to wait for ages with alternative of washing down with soapy water. (TIP: don't smoke  while doing this!)
Then thought I'd have a look at Sikkens web site and realised that Filter 7 is part of a two product system and really should have got some Cetol HLS Plus for the first application on the bare wood. So much for "advice and guidance from your retailer".

Had to wait ages for a dry day to apply first coat of HLS. The data sheet on the website warned that it would take at least 16 hours before recoatable - longer if humid, which of course it was.  And of course as I globbed quite a bit into the imperfections in the wood so wanted to make sure it dried out completely. Took at least 2 days before the "globs" were hard. So left it three days to make sure.

Having only consumed less than half the 1 liter tin I wondered if there would be any benefit to putting on an extra coat before the Filter 7 top coat. So decided to ring the Sikkens help line. (0800 052 2121).

What a pleasure it is to be answered almost straight away having navigated only one layer of menu and not having to pay 0870 call charges! Had a good chat about my previous problems, which the advisor thought might well have been partly due to me recoating before the base coat was thoroughly dry and forcing up drying solvent lifting the top coat. So definitely advised to make sure base coat was thoroughly dry. He said no problem applying multiple coats of the HLS basecoat as long as each coat is thoroughly dry - easier said than done in this humid weather.

So now done three base coats of HLS and must say the imperfections in the wood after my last disaster are almost covered, with the door a rich shade of brown. The main problem has been the weather so i've rigged up a big polythene sheet so that I can varnish even if rain is expected. Fortunately the doors (they are double doors) open inwards so I am reasonably protected.

So that's the situation so far, waiting for that third coat to dry thoroughly before moving on to the Filter 7 top coat. Panicing slightly 'cos would really like to be finished by the weekend, but I doubt that's possible.

Re the white architave, I bought Sadolin Superdec Satin which according to spec can be painted over existing paint - suitably prepared. A bit concerned that it advises against applying in damp conditions (it's water-born). Just wish I could get hold of Lasutect Venti 1-2-3 that I used before and was such an excellent product. I must say that except where there has been mechanical damage the architrave painting I did with Venti 1-2-3 many year's ago has lasted extremely well.

Ok I'll let you know how I get on in the next stage. Though i guess an update after 5 year's is the real test  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print