Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Workshop flooding (Read 2040 times)
buzzy bee
GDPR opt-out

Workshop flooding
Oct 3rd, 2010, 2:46pm

Hi

I have a workshop in an old farm building, which keeps flooding.  I have put one layer of concret blocks at the front and then a wooden clad wall above that, that keeps the water out from the front, and will brick up the doorways with a few bricks to stop water running in through those.  The big issue is a back wall which had collapsed, and is going to be rebuilt eventually.  I was wondering if I was to lay some concrete a foot high, foot wide etc, the length of the back wall, or some more concrete blocks, would this be enough to hold the water back.  The area floods behind the shed, as there is no where for the awater to run away to, so the water would be sitting against the said blocks untill it dries up outside.  The floor on to whichI am building is concrete.  

Is there any better ways of doing this?  Other than moving into another shed, I can't face moving all of the machines, cars, vans, vehicles engines etc.  I did this once and it took nearly 6 months!

Cheers and look forward to your advice and help!

Dave

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Workshop flooding
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2010, 8:40am

Water has a way of getting through blockwork unless you coat it thoroughly with Synthaprufe or the like.

Personally I would try to stop the water flooding in the first place, I had a similar problem and dug several trenches and fitted land drains that ran into a sump. I then fitted an automatic dirty water pump to pump the water into the drains.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Workshop flooding
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:53am

woodsmith wrote on Oct 23rd, 2010, 8:40am:
Water has a way of getting through blockwork unless you coat it thoroughly with Synthaprufe or the like.

Personally I would try to stop the water flooding in the first place, I had a similar problem and dug several trenches and fitted land drains that ran into a sump. I then fitted an automatic dirty water pump to pump the water into the drains.

Spot on.  That's the way to do it.  Don't believe anyone who says that you need a French drain. Bit like French workers.  They stop working.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print