Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:15am
Quote: If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electric heater in my combi boiler radiator circui (Read 4174 times)
jonny1234
GDPR opt-out

Electric heater in my combi boiler radiator circui
Nov 30th, 2010, 11:12am

hi can i install an instantaneous water heater in line with my radiatir circuit in a combi boiler, i want to use electrc to warm my rads when gas is cut off or not avail plus i get cheaper elec with solar so would like to make most of it, can a normal in line heater be used and can it stand pressure, i will use boiler pump but put boiler temp low so pump works but boiler wont fire as elec heater will keep stat off with warm water?? i think

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Electric heater in my combi boiler radiator circui
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2010, 1:55pm

all your day to day non heating applications will use up most off your "free electricity"

on average on a sunny day you will only reach about 80% and above  on average for a few hours a year
over the year the output is likley to be around 20 to 30 % off the suggested maximum

and when you need the heat you panels are at thee least efficant

don't forget if you use more than the panels produce you pay the full price for it
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2010, 2:03pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2010, 3:41pm

How much solar PV are you considering?

I think the normal solution if you have an excess is to use any spare to run an immersion heater element in the hot water tank.  Perhaps put a mixer on the hot output from the tank to reduce the temperature to a safe level. That way the tank can be operated over a wider temperature range and store more energy.

Quote:
i will use boiler pump but put boiler temp low so pump works but boiler wont fire as elec heater will keep stat off with warm water?

I guess the boiler might lock out eg water much hotter than the set temperature = fault?.

Might be better just to put the heater in parallel with the boiler  and use a valve to select which one the pump sends the water through. Same switch that controls the valve can also steer the output from the room stat to either the electric heater or the boiler (might need a relay).
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2010, 3:42pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2010, 2:59am

The easiest way would be to install a thermal store and run the radiators from that.

The combi can still heat the store through the coil, but you would need to separate the hot water with say the kitchen/utility connected to the combi.
To re-cap.

The store is heated via the immersion heater or boiler.

The hot water is mains pressure from the store, except the kitchen.

The heating is run from the store using a second pump and controls.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2010, 3:00am by thescruff »  
IP Logged

Lucius Hohl
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2014, 8:54am

Quote:
hi can i install an instantaneous water heater in line with my radiatir circuit in a combi boiler, i want to use electrc to warm my rads when gas is cut off or not avail plus i get cheaper elec with solar panels so would like to make most of it, can a normal in line heater be used and can it stand pressure, i will use boiler pump but put boiler temp low so pump works but boiler wont fire as elec heater will keep stat off with warm water?? i think

hello friend bit old thread but which heater have you got? Even I am looking to add new heater so can you help me with your experience..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2014, 9:41am

Hi and welcome to askthetrades.

I don't think information in the Uk will be of any use in Mumbai, Maharashra,  or elsewhere in India.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print