Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:42pm
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing old floorboards (Read 5346 times)
rangler
GDPR opt-out

Removing old floorboards
Jan 30th, 2011, 3:00pm

Hi all and nice forum Smiley
Posted this on another DIY forum but throught i'd post here too just in case

I have a spare room in our house which creaks like hell, i thought ok lets get the boards up and have a nosey then glue back down and use screws instead of nails.
Took me best part of 4 hours to get all the bloody nails out and 2 quite nasty cuts later theyre all out

However i cannot get the two T&G chipboards to come free, video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3eqG3Ilzs

Can anyone suggest anything please.? Im tempted to just rip them up and tidy the edges afterwards then replace the chip boards with compressed ones ??

Thoughts please.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2011, 3:02pm by rangler »  

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Re: Removing old floorboards
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2011, 5:49pm

You'd be better off with ply boards anyway. The creaking sounded as if it was caused by the edge board rubbing against the larger board, which could have been fixed by screwing between the joins of the boards. But as you've got the old boards up anyway, replace them with the ply and screw down.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2011, 4:44pm

It may just be the chipboard moving up and down and creaking on the nails. There are special screws for fixing floorboards, they are threaded at the top and bottom but have a smooth area in between which allow you to fix the boards down tight. I would have a go with those first before doing anything drastic.

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/spax-floorboard-screw-countersunk-head-4-5-m...
Before starting this though have a good look underneath the boards and see if there are any pipes/wires, mark the position in marker pen on the top side of the boards so you don't screw through any of them.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Wayne B
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2011, 6:25pm

Listen to the joiner bud, Im a plumber and Heating Engineer, good quality plywood well supported and screwed down well will deffo do the job, make sure to fully support all edges and if you need to add timbers between joists where sheets meet so there is no bow to rub together as they flex and make noises.  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print