Welcome To Ask The Trades!

Quote: A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Staining a Summerhouse (Read 1559 times)
TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!
Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Staining a Summerhouse
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2011, 8:05pm

this preservative you put on, is an oil based product....even with an oil based stain, you may struggle to add the chosen colour, due to the water repellent,

i suggest you do use an oil based stain, and test an inconspicuous area first...unless of course Kingfisher actually do a stain to suit the preservative coat, you've already applied....

the sooner the better really, as adding a stain/preservative is done to stop the weathering....

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

littleyellowspider

Ask The Trades
Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Staining a Summerhouse
Nov 8th, 2011, 3:18pm

Firstly, I'm not sure if I've come to the right 'room' to ask this question, however, hopefully someone may be able to help.

I have erected my shed/summerhouse combi, prior to putting it up, I treated all the wood with a clear, oil based preservative, with added water repellent (Kingfisher).  Now, I need to add some colour.

Would you give the wood a season or two to 'weather' before applying a wood stain, or would you do it sooner rather than later?

Thanks in advance.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print