Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:50pm
Quote: There are two theories to arguing with women. Trust me, neither one works.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fixing a mirror (Read 3247 times)
David G
GDPR opt-out

Fixing a mirror
Nov 27th, 2011, 1:19pm

I am about to fix a biggish mirror in my en-suite.  The wall is tiled over a stud wall and is in excellent condition.  I dont want to see any fixings. It was suggested to me that I stick the mirror to the wall but how do I ensure that it doesnt fall off in the first few minutes.  I would fit  batten to the wall to give support and ensure the mirror is level but how do I fix and remov the batten without damaging the tiles? Is there a recommended adhesive?

IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9
For This Post: 0

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Re: Fixing a mirror
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2011, 4:56am

You can probably drill a hole in the grout at the corner of a tile and put a drywall fixing in to gold your batten.  You would then just need to touch up the grout after.  Not sure what adhesive you'd news to stick the mirror with.

When you say the mirror is big ish, how big is it?

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2011, 9:11pm

I fixed a mirror to our bathroom wall using special mirror adhesive I got from the place that cut the miror.  Comes in a tube for a mastic gun.  Tell them that's how the mirror will be fixed as I think the back coating is different ??

The shop advised that you can prop the bottom edge of the mirror down to the floor. eg fix a batten to the floor some distance away from the wall and use props at 45 degrees.  

I didn't need to try that as I wanted to fix a light to the mirror so I had them cut three holes in it. One for the wire and two for the fixing screws for the light. I used them to carry the weight while the adhesive was drying.  For sure the adhesive didn't have enough grab on it's own to hold it up.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2011, 9:40pm

Surely the mirror would look far better 'tiled' in?

This seems to be the norm these days.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print