Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:06pm
Quote: Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soldering brass connector to copper pipes - MAPP? (Read 5914 times)
russellmre
GDPR opt-out

Soldering brass connector to copper pipes - MAPP?
Feb 25th, 2013, 8:31am

Never having done soldering before, as part of my bathroom renovation project I've been trying to solder a brass fitting to a length of copper pipe. I've followed the instructions carefully - cleaning the pipe and inside of the fitting with emery paper, applying flux, joining the pipe and fitting then heating the brass fitting till it is hot enough to make the solder melt. Unfortunately though the solder isn't sucked into the joint the way it is supposed to. I've read up on this on the internet and what people say is that with a propane blow torch it takes too long to heat up the brass fitting and as a result the flux burns off before you can apply the solder - it is recommended to use MAPP gas instead. I'm not terribly keen on that as it is quite expensive for just doing two joints so does anybody know if it is really necessary or is there a way of doing it with propane?

IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Re: Soldering brass connector to copper pipes - MAPP?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2013, 11:04am

Very tricky..  Try adding more flux as the joint heats up by scooping it from the container on the end of the solder and laying it on the joint. The flux will bubble and fizz and run into the joint at the same time. Do this several times and if your lucky you will hit the perfect temp for the solder to suddenly run with it. Also rotate the flame around the brass joint to get a more even spread of heat and avoid hot spots.

Failing that, a bottle of MAPP gas is still a lot cheaper than getting a plumber in  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2013, 11:29am

so it would definitely be a lot easier with MAPP gas?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Nottingham
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2013, 1:07pm

You have already stated you never soldered before so I can't guarentee anything. Yes it should be easier but you should also be able to do it as described above. Try practising on some old fittings to get a feel for it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2013, 2:15pm

if I do it as you suggested with propane and adding flux at the same time as the solder, should I also put flux on before applying heat, or will the residue from it burning just stop the solder spreading properly?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Nottingham
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2013, 3:09pm

Yes, always start with a fully cleaned and fluxed joint. As you evenly heat the brass, keep dropping flux onto the joint with the end of your solder, hopefully your solder will suddenly run in.

When the joint has cooled, clean it up with some wire wool and use a torch with a small mirror to look round the joint. You should see a bright ring all around inside joint, it might be microscopic but you should see it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2013, 3:32pm

just been to the hardware shop, a cylinder of MAPP gas costs 17 euros but the lamp that goes with it costs 120. I'll try it the way you suggest with propane first

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2013, 4:32pm

Normal propane is fine if the torch is.

Perhaps a pic showing the torch would be good or at best the size of the burner.

As above dip the solder in the tub as you go.

What flux are you using.

Why brass fittings what are they.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2013, 4:42pm

looks a bit like this:
http://www.2ememain.be/construction/outils-et-machines/soudeuse/lampe-%C3%A0-sou...

just a basic bottom of the range lamp

flux - I asked the shop which one to use, it's for copper (the other option was for steel)

brass fitting - female threaded to join copper pipe to tap, I bought it in brass because it that's all that was available

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Nottingham
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2013, 5:53pm

That torch should do fine.

Have you considered using flexible tap connectors? Dead easy to fit and cheap as horseburgers at Screwfix..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

russellmre
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2013, 7:51am

I certainly did consider screwfix connectors, but for some reason they don't have them here (i live in belgium)
however, success! I managed to solder with a test piece, applying lots of flux while heating up the joint. I'll do the real thing today.
thanks for the suggestions! I don't know how I would have managed otherwise..  There are plenty of online soldering instructions and videos, but none of them tell you how to deal with this problem.
Another question - if the copper pipes are buried in the walls, is it enough to wrap them in insulating tape to protect them from contact with plaster/expansion? I've also heard that newspaper can be used for this purpose too

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2013, 8:43am

Denso tape or similar is best.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print