Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 11:11am
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tiling onto plasterboard (Read 5581 times)
russellmre
GDPR opt-out

tiling onto plasterboard
Mar 12th, 2013, 9:02am

could anybody help me with a tiling question?
Can I glue tiles directly onto green plasterboard using ordinary tile adhesive? This is the tile adhesive I am using:
http://www.knauf.be/fr/produits/gamme_de_bricolage/carreler/collepourcarrelagese...
I'm less worried about humidity penetrating through to the plaster (the tiles are in the downstairs loo, not the bathroom) than about how strongly they'll stick - as a test, I tried sticking a bit of tile onto plasterboard, and it wasn't all that hard to prise off. So perhaps I am using the wrong product?

A second question, I also have to glue a small square of plasterboard onto bare wall, I know there is special glue for this, but I don't really want to buy a whole large package for just a 30x30 cm square, can I just use a general purpose adhesive such as:
http://www.fixall.eu/fixall/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=...
thanks for your help!

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: tiling onto plasterboard
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2013, 8:29pm

You can tile straight onto green, moisture resistant, plasterboard, just follow the adhesive manufactures instructions.

As for using a tube adhesive to stick a small piece of plasterboard to a wall, it will stick it but you will need to make sure the board can not flex and a flexible adhesive may let it flex slightly unless it is tight up against the surface. I think you may be better using a non flexible tube adhesive like Pinkgrip.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013, 8:31pm by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: tiling onto plasterboard
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2013, 9:46pm

A bag of adhesive is not much more expensive than a tube of sticky stuff.  I know it's a waste, but best done properly.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print