Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:11am
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaking stop tap just above concrete floor (Read 5396 times)
kamog
GDPR opt-out

Leaking stop tap just above concrete floor
Mar 19th, 2013, 9:29am

The brass stop tap for the house will not close properly so normally I would not hesitate to shut off supply in the road, undo internal tap and replace washer. However 1st problem is the stop tap in the road serves 5 other houses and Welsh Water have told me I must not turn off the road stop tap as it is an offence to interfere with other people’s water supply. Only they can do it having giving proper advance legal notice to affected properties. I’d just talk to neighbours and get on with job but one will protest so it has to be done the ‘proper’ way. The next problem is that although WW say they will deal with temporary isolation at agreed time I am only allowed 15 mins to complete the job. If the job extends there could be £100’s fee depending on circumstances. In no way will WW come into the property to help.

I intend to have a complete new brass stop tap with compression fittings to hand if washer changing is not quick and easy but if the existing olive on the supply side pipe does not look too good I’d have to shorten the pipe. Next problem is the pipe has a curve where it comes up through the concrete floor and maybe there will not be enough straight pipe left. The tap is in a corner fairly close to wc so it’s difficult to judge the situation. Would you think it would be better and quicker if I need to cut off the old olive to use a Speedfit tap. I’d have steel wool to hand to do a thorough polish-up of the pipe of course. Thing is I have very little experience of using Speedfit with copper pipe although from playing around with a few bits it seems very good. Is it reliable long term?

If there is a leak that I can’t stop are there any emergency products which can be applied to the leak? Would the choice of emergency product differ for brass tap/and Speedfit?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Leaking stop tap just above concrete floor
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2013, 5:19pm

Not sure about the rules but perhaps consider fitting your own external stopcock using something like this to avoid having to turn off the main one...

http://www.jewson.co.uk/tool-hire/plumbing-equipment/pipe-freezing/

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2013, 8:58pm

Easy fix in my opinion would be to shut of the faulty cock as best you can and fit a new one above it then open the old one, remove the head and forget about it.

You might have to work with water leaking past the old stopcock, just use plenty of old towels and work quick Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cumbriahandyman
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2013, 6:54am

Do it at night or early morning while neighbours are sleeping.  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:58pm

Do you know one will protest or just guessing? I'd go speak to them and explain the situation.....sweeten with beer/tea/kiss/whatever.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2013, 8:40am

I would be very wary of using Speedfit on old pipe, the pipe needs to be perfect to make a good seal, any marks on the pipe and you would create yourself a whole raft of problems.

If you can find a stop tap identical to the existing one you could unscrew the whole tap assembly and replace it as a unit rather than just trying to swap the washer which may not be the whole problem.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2013, 9:40am

Dig a hole and expose the pipe before it enters your property.

Cut pipe live and fit a stopcock.

Plumbers doit underwater, so you don't get wet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print