Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:48am
Quote: One step beyond.....

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PAT Testing Course C & G 2377 (Read 2253 times)
Flashbang

I've been P'eeeeeeed

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

PAT Testing Course C & G 2377
Jun 17th, 2014, 1:40pm

Having been retired for seven years now (originally early) from my electrical background employment and with C & G qualifications for Electrical Installations and Fitters taken years ago. I find that most of my local clubs (Model Railways) that I frequent, who meet mainly in council run halls are now as part of the hall hire agreement required to have all portable electrical items used within the building PAT checked.  The cost by the local council is currently running at around £1.50 to £2 per item tested. Many of these items are personal club members tools like mains power drills, jig saws etc. which they bring in for ad-hoc work on items being built for the club use. Many of the clubs also own their own electrically powered items for providing mains power to train controllers etc. This it appears is going on with other locally based similar clubs too which are not in my councils area.  The issue become more prevalent when a club decides to host an exhibition where 'outsiders' are invited to attend.

My thoughts, too occupy some of my spare time, was to obtain a PAT teasing machine - I now have a S/H Robin 3000 tester which will need calibrating once I obtain a qualification to allow myself to undertake PAT checks on all equipment used by my two clubs and then probably offer my services to the other clubs membership on an expenses only (travel to their clubs venue) cost. The PAT testing being arranged on an evening and their clubs membership coming along on that ear marked evening with their power tools etc.

Now it appears most local councils will only accept C & G 2377 qualifications for PAT testers. This is fine, but obtaining such a qualification is not that simple for a retired person. All my local Technical colleges say they do not run C & G 2377 courses, but they run all other electrical courses! The only option for me is to go to a private training company and take the course. But the cost for a course is (IMO) vast!  Its running at around £250 for the course which is often one day plus the exam while some are two days with the cost of the C & G exam on top in many cases. So a simple PAT course can exceed £300 plus VAT!  
While this for a business may be ok and possibly tax deductible. To me, who is on a pension income, seems OTT or am I being unreasonable?

Your views and any thoughts on C & G 2377 courses etc are most welcome.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Flashbang

I've been P'eeeeeeed

Total Thanks: 0

Re: PAT Testing Course C & G 2377
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2014, 11:03am

Well after nearly six months and 250 plus views no one commented about this? Is CG qualification the only recognised way? Is there any cheaper options open to me to gain a C&G PAT certification?
Or am I wasting my time?

I would appreciate your comments.

Otherwise there is going to be a Robin PAT machine for sale  Smiley
BTW I am no nearer obtaining any courses that are local to me.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: PAT Testing Course C & G 2377
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2014, 5:29pm

Overall, we are finding that less and less companies are having their appliances PAT tested.  Gone are the days of this being "enforced" on companies - They now need to simply "make sure appliances for use by staff are in a serviceable condition" or words to this effect.

It is up to them how they do this - PAT testing (or In Service Appliance Testing as it's now known) being the recommended method.

We used to have several companies who would get us to PAT test regularly.  These large firms now don't want it done.

The only jobs we now get are from people with holiday lets, and nursery schools.  

As for courses, it really is a matter of ringing around.  I thought it was just a quick day long (or even half day?) course.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print