Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:22pm
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decking lights (Read 1952 times)
Anthony1609
GDPR opt-out

Decking lights
Aug 1st, 2014, 8:29am

hi everyone, can some please let me know if what I have done is ok, and how to plan next stage.

I have added a 13amp fused unit to the ring main in my utility room and run 2.5mm rubber cable above head height (about 7ft high) to my summer house, where I have added a rcd fused spur, from this I have added 3 double sockets, the length of the run from the house to the summer house is 15 meters, is this all ok.

the next question is can I run decking lights from this if I add another fused unit

thanks for any help

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Decking lights
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2014, 6:13pm

I'm not an electrician (just an electronics engineer, there is a big difference) but as everyone seems to be on holiday...

I'm pretty sure the cable needs to be an armoured cable not just rubber. Not even sure if "rubber cable" is UV safe?

Is the ring you added the "13amp fused unit" to protected by an RCD? I believe it should be.

I don't think it's always safe to "export" an earth from one building to another but I'm not sure on the details of when it is/isn't ok. I think it this depends on the type of earth system that the house has?

From a regulations point of view... This would be classed as notifiable work under the Building Regs. This means you should either a) DIY and make a Building Control Application or b) employ a member of a Competent Person Scheme to do the work. Most electricians are members of such schemes so they can issue the necessary paperwork to avoid you having to involve Building Control and their fees.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Decking lights
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2014, 10:33pm

Just to echo -

Rubber flex is a non-no for outdoor use unless it is of the type used for stuff like pond pumps.

15 metres suspended overhead and exposed to direct sunlight is also a non  no. The insulation will become brittle and crack, thus eventually allowing water to ingress.

I would have gone for 4,00mm 3 core armoured cable suspended upon a proper catenary wire.

You don't say what length of cable you have run around inside the summer house for the sockets.

You may well have an RCD in the house consumer unit already?
If so, no need for a RCD FCU.

You don't say how many or what ratings in watts you wish the decking lights to be.

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print