Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:10am
Quote: The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stop cock, SureStop or both? (Read 3663 times)
completenovice
GDPR opt-out

Stop cock, SureStop or both?
Aug 19th, 2014, 9:25pm

Need to get a stopcock sorted as it is way too stiff and difficult to shut. While about it, would it be better to fit a direct replacement, go with a SureStop, or go with both please?

Also, the SureStop fitting that slots into the pipe looks plastic to me. I've read that any break in the copper plumbing 'circuit' might be a concern re earthing. Should I be concerned please?

Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 1

Trade: Plumber

Re: Stop cock, SureStop or both?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2014, 10:31pm

Again a pic showing the problem would be best.

Most stopcocks are servicable if you can turn the water off elsewhere.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

completenovice
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:10am

Thanks for the quick reply thescruff and sorry for not being able to get a photo up sooner. Anyway, here it is.

This is all in a cupboard under the kitchen sink, lower shelf, with the stopcock just above the shelf. Two pipes heading off left above are to the washing machine (nowadays cold fill so hot pipe there is redundant).

I like the idea of the SureStop for its simplicity and the minimal strength required to use for anyone who struggles with this.

completenovicestopcock

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:20am

Your best bet would be to turn the water off elsewhere ( outside for example and take the valve out, you can service it in a vice and put it back. but the easiest way would be to take the valve to a plumbers merchant, BSS, Pipeline etc and buy a new valve.

Get the same make (looks like "Conex") all you need to do then is undo the two nuts and do them back up again, with the water off as above.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2014, 8:28am

I think there are two types of sure stop, one for use with a stop cock and one for use without. I have only fitted one which still needed the stop cock in a holiday cottage where they regularly turned the water off, and it worked well. No complaints anyway!

IP Logged

completenovice
Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2014, 12:47pm

Thanks both.

The feeder from the street is under a manhole cover straight out front, so I should be able to get to that easily enough. Would definitely go with a new valve, rather than a fettle on the old one. Will have a look this week for Conex locally.

Re the SureStop, that sounds good. Was concerned how the two could play together but assuming there is a design specifically for installations with a stopcock, think I'll go for this at the same time as the new valve.

Thanks again  Wink

BTW, sorry for the delay replying. Although I've checked the option to be notified of replies I don't seem to be actually receiving notifications.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print