Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:40am
Quote: They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening' - Then proceed to tell you why it isn't

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ancient Cut-out, missing Distribution board and li (Read 3693 times)
Joe.redm
GDPR opt-out

Ancient Cut-out, missing Distribution board and li
Sep 15th, 2014, 7:17pm

Hi, I have just acquired a small studio in a Georgian property in South London. The electrics when I moved in were in a terrible state and so I have hired an electrician to re-wire the place, which he has. Unfortunately I am not connected up to the new circuit because of a variety of knock-on issues I will try to outline below.

1.      The Tails coming out of the pre-payment meter in my flat are exposed and dangerous and need replacing/and then connecting up to new fuseboard. (EDF responsibility)
2.      There is no distribution board at the property for EDF to turn off the electricity going into my flat. (freeholders responsibility?)
3.      The cut-out in the basement is very old (metal casement, ceramic fuses) and is overloaded with 2 circuits per each of the 3 fuses which are not labelled. (The building has 2 shops on the ground floor, one hallway communal supply and 3 flats). Needs replacing. (UK Power Network responsibility)

My problem is that EDF cannot work on the meter unless the power has been turned off, however they cannot use the cut-out as it too old and needs replacing (by UK Power Network) but UK Power Network will not replace the Old Cut-out unless there is a Distribution Board fitted. I am sure the Distribution Board is the responsibility of the freeholder (it is to be used by all of the flats/shops in the property). However the freeholder is not responding to my request/calls and so I can only assume is not happy about doing the work.

What I would like to know is...

A.      Is the Distribution Board definitely the freeholders responsibility?
B.      If it is then are they obligated to have one fitted in the property? The current set-up is still functioning for everyone else in the building it’s just I am the only one with the problem at the present time.
C.      Has anyone got any experience in how I could go about getting the freeholder to do this work? My flat is in a dangerous condition (exposed wires) and though it is not directly their fault without their co-operation I cannot get it fixed. Does this make them liable?
D.      One of EDF’s engineers mentioned the work in the flat might be able to be done live if it came down to it. EDF have since denied this is an option but has anyone has any experience with EDF doing work on live electrics?

Any information/advice would be much appreciated, I am struggling to know which way to turn next.

Thanks,

Joe

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Re: Ancient Cut-out, missing Distribution board and li
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2014, 10:13am

I'm not an electrician.  I might be wrong but I see you haven't had a reply so..

Is there anything in the lease?

Is your meter is in the studio? Then I think the DNO is usually responsible for everything up to and including the meter. This is also typically where the earthing point is.

If the meter is in another part of the building then the bit from there to your studio might be the responsibility of the freeholder or the DNO. There should be a switch somewhere in that path which is probably where the responsibility changes from the DNO to you or the freeholder.

I think I would press UK Power network to confirm they are responsible for everything up to and including your meter.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 1

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2014, 5:57pm

Lets have a photo of the current meter - and other photos if you can.

I would assume there would be away to get you connected to the existing meter while you sort out who is responsible for what.

It is rare, but some buildings do own the distribution internally and are responsible for the bit between the incoming service head and the meters.  This can become logistical when it comes to things like this.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joe.redm
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2014, 1:29pm

Cwatters.. I havent had time to go through the lease in its entirety but will have a look tonight to double check. dont think there is anything spoecifically relating to this though. The meter is in the studio, and it is earthed there also. From the meter it goes into an ancient fuseboard which I'm trying to get switched from. Will call Uk Power Network now.

Lectrician - I'll post a photo later. How do I know who owns what in the property?>

Thanks!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print