Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 19th, 2024, 8:49am
Quote: 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Porch Swing: Max and Distribution (Read 2794 times)
azuresurfer
GDPR opt-out

Porch Swing: Max and Distribution
Oct 15th, 2014, 10:44pm

Hi all,

I think I did a pretty good job at relocating our porch swing, but would really appreciate some experienced opinions about the max. weight and distribution for the wood. Please see the pics. I know all the hardware is good. Each of the eye bolts is rated at 300 lbs, and all the structural connectors and screws are plenty strong enough per the guy at Home Depot. You can disregard the open chain connectors at each end. They're both weight rated high enough (680 lbs each), but the opening is too small to get over the eye bolt, hence the shape from me expanding the opening. I just used them testing.

My question is how much downward pull force can the 2x4s and 2x6s support, given my configuration? My son and I sat on the swing last night with a combined weight of about 350 lbs with no obvious give or movement anywhere. So it seems pretty solid and safe. The max weight would never exceed 600 lbs. What say everyone? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9
For This Post: 0

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Re: Porch Swing: Max and Distribution
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2015, 4:21pm

i'm assuming that above that roof there isn't anything else for the timber frame to support?  its not walked on up there or anything like that?  if it'll take 2 people and doesn;t move, i'd take that as it's ok  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print