Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 3:43am
Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
surface water nightmare! (Read 3174 times)
Jamesp
GDPR opt-out

surface water nightmare!
Oct 16th, 2014, 12:27pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to this so apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this. My mum was building a house, but died suddenly leaving me (a drum teacher!) in charge and out of my depth with finishing it! Everything has gone reasonably ok, except for the surface water drainage.

The house is in Haywards Heath and southern water have denied sewerage access for the surface water, and since we don't have the space in the garden allowed for a soakaway, the only option we have been given is to dig 30 metres along to a busy B road which would have to be probably be closed off for a day, so we can tap in to the closest surface drainage.

I was just wandering first off how much something like this would cost?? I imagine tens of thousands of pounds! Does anyone know of any other potential alternatives, above board preferably!

Its very frustrating considering we have  foul sewer access in our garden but have to potentially pay an insane amount of money to divert the rain water from such a small house across so far!

Anyway! If anyone is knowledgeable with this sort of thing I would be very grateful to hear from you!

Many thanks

James

View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: surface water nightmare!
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2014, 11:44pm

It's very common for water companies not to allow surface water to be put into foul drains.

One option might be a rain water recycling tank (eg use rainwater to flush the loo). The water co might allow the overflow from that tank to go into the foul sewer but you would have to ask them. An underground rainwater tank could be installed closer to the house/plot boundary than a soak away so may take up less space.

Edit: Hope the mods don't mind but I've copied your post to another forum..

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/14501-cost-of-digging-up-road-for/

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Jamesp
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2014, 3:14am

Great thanks for the help. Some one talked to me about a rainwater harvester today funnily enough, Do you have any idea how much that would cost to install?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2014, 10:21am

Tanks are circa £700-£2000 and complete systems £1800-£4000 plus installation. Depends on size of tank. Underground tanks need a concrete base or similar to stop them "floating" to the surface when empty. They get more expensive if you want to drink the water.

Can google for examples..
http://www.rainwaterharvesting.co.uk/house-and-garden-systems-with-mains-backup-...

IP Logged

Jamesp
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2014, 12:10pm

Great, thanks very much for your replies, very helpful :]

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print