Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 19th, 2024, 9:01am
Quote: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to make a room divider screen stand flat (Read 4242 times)
Miss415
GDPR opt-out

How to make a room divider screen stand flat
Jan 10th, 2015, 4:22am

Hi there- I am so glad I found this forum and hope the collective skills can help me! I bought a room divider that I'd really like to stand flush against the back of my couch. I thought there was a standard room divider "stand" that would work but come to find out, it doesnt work with a divider with legs.  Are there some creative problem solvers out there with ideas to help me figure out some way to to build something that would work? I need to be sturdy enough not to be knocked over by my itty bitty playful puppy (She's 8lbs & full grown).  Here's a photo of the room divider- mine is 4 panels, 67 in h x 49.5 in w
I guess I should mention too that I'm a total novice but I do have a measuring tape & a little kobe one hand reciprocating saw. If I can't do it myself, I can pay someone but I'll need to know what I want first right? :-? Thank you!

(P.S. I can post a puppy picture too if you're curious, lol!)

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: How to make a room divider screen stand flat
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2015, 9:27am

Can you fix something to the ceiling, maybe brass hooks and eyes to hang it on.

Is it permanent or does it need to be mobile.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Miss415
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2015, 5:09pm

I would need it to be mobile. I'm using it to cordon off a cozy corner.or nook for my senior dog so he has a space where the puppy can't annoy him when I'm  not there to supervise. When I pet sit- up to 2 other dogs at the same time- i slide the couch back a couple feet to make more space in the "nook". The divider keeps the clever, curious ones from leaping over the back of the couch.

I thought of maybe attaching it to the couch but I'm worried I will regret doing that- especially since I'm planning on buying a new one in the next week or 2.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2015, 5:54pm

the easiest solution is a "L" shape at right angles gives you the strongest set up
so take a corner and make it into a oblong/ square compound

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2015, 11:06pm

I think you would need to put at least a foot per screen and if you could find a local joiner he could make you something that the leg could slide into. If you want to make something yourself, and I am assuming you have limited tools, you could get some 3x1 softwood, cut it into 2ft lengths and fix it to the legs of the screens with large shelf brackets (so that it looks like an uside down T shape)  If the brackets were fitted on the sofa side then you wouldn't see them but not knowing the layout of the room I don't know if these feet would stick out and form a trip hazard.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print