Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:38pm
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reroofing and loft insulation (Read 6291 times)
Sarah
GDPR opt-out

Reroofing and loft insulation
Jan 26th, 2015, 7:01pm

Hi there

Sorry if I break any etiquette or rules but I'm a newbie!

I'm looking to get quotes to have my roof reslated and I've read that it's most likely I'll need my insulation upgraded in my loft. I'm also looking at getting my loft boarded out but I just wondered if my loft was boarded out, would I have to get up the boarding to add more insulation or use an alternative? There isn't a great deal of head height in my loft so I don't really want a massive thick insulation and then have to use spacers and board over it. This is the reason I thought of boarding it first, then doing the roof if I can get away without having new insulation.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sarah

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Reroofing and loft insulation
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2015, 11:53pm

Have a word with the roofer/builder you may be able to use 100mm Celotex or similar between the rafters

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2015, 9:23am

Im assuming the boarding is so that you can store things in the loft, the trouble is that if you insulate under the boarding the roof void becomes particularly cold and even with a lot of ventilation you can still get condensation forming within the roof space. I am just working at a house where the owner has just discovered the photos she has been keeping in the loft have glued themselves together and become a sticky ruined mass. If you really want to store things in the loft and you are having the roof re-tiled you would be better off creating a warm roof where you insulate under the tiles rather than over the ceiling of the room below.

You should be able to ask you builder about the pros and cons of having a warm roof.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2015, 6:59pm

You could move the insulation to between the rafters but I would use far more than 100mm. I have 150mm and wish I had more. Part of the problem is that the rafter bridge the insulation and it's very hard to fit it tightly between the rafters so there are gaps. Sure these could be filled with expanding foam but that's a messy job and not that easy to do well - how do you get it into a <2mm gap? If the membrane isn't vapour permeable you also need to form a 50mm ventilated gap between it and the insulation. If you want to go this route I would put a layer of insulation under the rafters as well as between so boards can be butted together and joints taped.

Personally I think it's best to beef up the insulation at ceiling level and use stand offs to support the boards. Seal up any holes between the warm humid house and the cold loft, particularly where pipes from the bathroom enter the loft. Ditto the loft hatch. Ventilate the loft well to the outside using eaves trays.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2015, 7:03pm

PS: If you have less than 4" of insulation British Gas will (should?) upgrade it for free...

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy-saving-products/home-insulation?campcode=EON...

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2015, 6:40am

A lot of new houses these days have insulation in between the actual roof timbers, as well as the ceiling timbers.  Usually cellotex or similar.  Cellotex takes up less space than the save Rvalue in cosy wrap.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print