Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:50am
Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on - Samuel Goldwyn

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can a light outlet box be installed in solid wood? (Read 4129 times)
derekblain
GDPR opt-out

Can a light outlet box be installed in solid wood?
Feb 1st, 2015, 7:45am

Getting my kitchen remodeled and had a light outlet box installed on a wall just left of a 4x4 wall post. Turns out the wall wasn't wide enough and four more 2x4's were added to widen it.

Now instead of being 6" to the left of the wall edge, my light box is too far at 14". I want my contractor to move it but they claim it can't be moved because everything to the right is solid wood (the 4x4 and 4-2x4's).

Seems to me they should be able to cut a hole in the solid wood with a router and drill a hole through the wood to run the electrical from the old spot, then patch up the old one. Only talking about a 6" to 8" move or so.  

Are they correct that it can't be done or is likely a matter of it being  inconvenient and they just don't want to?

Thanks for helping me out.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Can a light outlet box be installed in solid wood?
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2015, 9:40am

It's impossible to say without seeing the job but if I understand you correctly you want them to run the cable horizontally for about 8 inches then it would run up from where the light switch was going to be fitted. This wouldn't be allowed as the wires would be outside the permitted zone, wires should run either horizontally or vertically directly in line with the back box. To move the back box you would need the wires to be run down the wall directly to the new position. Not necessarily impossible. The other option is to leave the existing back box and fit a blank plate over it, then you could run the wires horizontally between the old and new back boxes as this would then be in a permitted zone.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

derekblain
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2015, 5:26pm

If i was able to attach the pic correctly, hopefully this can show what i was talking about which is ultimately moving the light switch closer to the wall edge.  But it would get mounted in solid wood.  You can see where add'l 'wall' via 2x4's was added.  

So if I'm readying you correctly, you're saying this original outlet would have to remain with a blank plate over it and the wires could then run to a newly punched hole 8" to the right?  But, I couldn't run the wires to the new spot and cover up this original hole with drywall?  Just making sure.  Thanks.

outlet3.jpg (37 KB | 195 )
outlet3.jpg
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2015, 10:19pm

Does the cable come down or go up at present.

Looks to me as though the cable could be re-routed from above or below to be in the studwork.

Sparkies will confirm. Lec may even re-size the pic so it only fits one on my monitors  Smiley

IP Logged

derekblain
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2015, 11:21pm

Thank you for your input.  Currently the cable feeds down into the top of the switch box.  If they moved the box 8" to the right, the cable would have to go through studs to get there.  And the switch box itself would have to be sawed into the studs.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2015, 11:50pm

Derek are you in the UK? I'm asking because that's a strange choice of back box for a light switch and you called plasterboard drywall! For the UK you would need to fit a cover over the old box to show that wires ran vertically from it, fitting a back box into timber should not be a problem for a decent carpenter. If you are in the US then I'm afraid I have no idea what regulations would apply.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2015, 9:23am

Quote:
Thank you for your input.  Currently the cable feeds down into the top of the switch box.  If they moved the box 8" to the right, the cable would have to go through studs to get there.  And the switch box itself would have to be sawed into the studs.  

I was thinking if the cable comes down the wall at pressent, can you pull it out above the ceiling and move it over to come down in the stud wall.

IP shows Burbank C.A. Woodsmith so certainly different regs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print