Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:55pm
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shower trap size (Read 3462 times)
ticklegpz
GDPR opt-out

shower trap size
Apr 2nd, 2015, 5:52pm

hi guys i have a shower tray with 50mm hole purchased a 50mm high flow shower trap but seems to be quite a lot of sideways movement before fully tightened is this normal or have i been given wrong size trap ?

IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Re: shower trap size
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2015, 8:53pm

So long as you have plenty of overlap all around for the seal, it should be fine. Just make sure you hold the trap as central as possible while you tighten it up. It's like taps and tap holes, invariably the holes are far bigger than the tap stems.

I would advise checking the smoothness of the underside of the tray where the trap seals and sand flat if necessary. Also it might be prudent to use some silicon to aid with the sealing underneath. The last thing you want is a leaking shower base once it's all in and fixed Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2015, 10:58pm

Would like to see a pic of the problem, but I wouldn't use or recommend silicon mastic as it will cause the rubber washer to expand and potentially squeeze out

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ticklegpz
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2015, 8:44am

Image 1

hi thx for your replies guys i have posted a pic of the type of trap i am wanting to fit basically the the part which screw in from the top has a diametre of approx 40mm this is threaded part not the top flange and the silver top part doesn,t seem to seeat as it should i will try post pic of this later if i can sorry thats the wrong pic

correct picture hereImage 2

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2015, 10:46pm

I think I found a clearer line drawing here. Click on the tab marked "line drawing"..

http://www.premierbathroomcollection.co.uk/enclosures-and-wetrooms/pearlstone-sh...

If I'm reading it correctly that model is designed for a tray with a 90mm hole not a 50mm hole. The bit that dictates the size of the hole in the tray appears to be 85mm in diameter.

I think the 48mm diameter part is just the bit you remove for cleaning not for mounting the trap.

Someone else take a look.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print