Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 19th, 2024, 7:58am
Quote: A rock --> me <-- A hard place

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oiling engineered oak flooring (Read 11226 times)
wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Oiling engineered oak flooring
Apr 5th, 2015, 10:09am

If i can find the money from somewhere i may be putting down oak engineered flooring soon, about 20 odd metres worth.  Im going for oiled afer weighing up the advantages and disadvantages.  

Should it be oiled before the skirting goes on? or can it be done after which would help me out.  Skirting will be white primed mdf.  

Whats the best oil to use? and buy from?

cheers Smiley

All advice is at least two years out of date.
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Oiling engineered oak flooring
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2015, 9:45pm

I would use a hard wax oil rather than a straight oil; there are quite a few different ones available but they are similar in composition. I normally use Osmo Polyx, not cheap but you pays your money and.....

I don't think it really matters which way round you finish them as long as you mask up carefully. If you get the hwo on the skirting it may resist the paint.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2015, 9:48pm by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2015, 6:56pm

hello thanks for the advice.  

Good, after some research on the internet I was going to go for osmo poly x satin, so now will definitely go for that. I have about 25 square meters to go so hopefully 2.5 litres will be enough for two coats sound about right?

I was hoping to lay it (one room 18m square) with the chippy one day and skirt it the next and then mask up the skirting and oil it about a week later when im off work.  Will it be ok to walk on while skirting ect without oiling?

Smiley

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2015, 11:17pm

2.5litres will probably do one coat, you'll need less for the second coat but I doubt you will get two coats out of one tin.
Unfinished flooring marks very easily, especially scuff marks from shoes, these sand off with a very light sanding which you would normally need to do anyway just before applying a finish. Grease or oily and even water marks are more of a problem to get rid of so you would need to be very careful if you are leaving it a week.

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2015, 7:23pm

thanks for the help.

The house is unoccupied so wont have much traffic in the week, there shouldnt be any trades there either that week.  

Finally got the money sorted today so will be ordering tomorrow, hopefully getting it delivered friday.  So a little over a week for acclimatization that long enough?

How do you usually apply finish? on the video on you tube it suggested brush first coat and roller second coat is that the best way?

The only oiling i have ever done before is on oak doors with danish oil and a rag!

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2015, 10:27pm

Yes brush the first coat on, but really spread it out thinly, it should be hard work, if it isn't your not brushing it out enough! i also usually roll the second coat unless it's a small area, it's less work and much quicker but ruins the roller because I don't think it's practical to clean it.

This stuff is quite smelly especially when you are doing a big area but should dry quite quickly.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2015, 9:46am

If it's any help... you can buy engineered oak pre-coated with hard wax oil. Probably more expensive than doing it yourself but might save time.

IP Logged

Sandy

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2015, 9:51am

I can second the Osmo Polyx Hard Wax Oil. It's amazing. I'd seen and heard lots of reviews, but due to the cost was reluctant to shell out. Now, I've wondered why I never used it sooner.

I recently made some shelves and drawer units from superb quality 22mm ply for my baby boy, hence I wanted something that would withstand sick, pee and every other type of liquid thrown at it.

I got the clear silk finish that's quick drying. I sanded down to (I think) 500grit, then brushed on the first coat. It's quite thick, so took overnight to dry in a warm room, so not quite the 4/5hours as mentioned on the tin. I lightly sanded down after the first coat to denib any air bubbles, then wiped on another 4 coats with a cloth, rubbing down lightly in between each one which has left a smooth, almost glass like finish. The last coat was with Liberon Bison Wax, which really brought out the depth of figuring. So far the shelf has had Coke, spirit/oil from a room freshener, Calpol etc spilt on it and it's all wiped off leaving no marks at all.

I appreciate you might not want to go as far as 5 coats and a wax polish, but I can thoroughly support the hard wax oil finish. After the first coat, the wiped-on coats really did dry within 4hours, as stated on the tin. I would also support the previous comment about the smell. As you're doing such a large surface area, make sure you definitely do open the windows and doors. The finish is even child safe once dried, but damn, it stinks when it's fresh and drying.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Sandy

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2015, 9:59am

Further to the above, I can also add that unfortunately I clonked the side of one of the pieces and scratched it. I sanded the area around it and then re applied the same process. The only way you can tell there has been a scratch there is if you know exactly where to look and know what you're looking for.

At the moment, I live abroad in a rented apartment with an solid/engineered oak floor throughout. The flooring was brand new when I moved in 5 years ago, so naturally the flooring has picked up some scratches and dents. I've steamed out some dents and then dribbled in some of the oil into the deficits, allowing it to harden, then polishing it up. The result is that you can cover up even large scratches very well and minor dents to a great extent.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2015, 10:00pm

Thanks for the replies.

The flooring has been acclimatizing for a week and will hopefully go down tomorrow.  

on the box is says brushed and oiled so do i assume is already has been oiled but i should still give it a couple of coats of hard wax oil after skirting is on?

Also underlay has over lapping bits should these be taped down with vapour / foil tape?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2015, 6:30pm

It wouldn't hurt to give an extra couple of coats but best to have a look at it once it's down, it may be okay without.
It's probably best to tape the underlay together it tends to move about as you fit the flooring.

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2015, 4:31pm

its down really pleased with it.  

chippy says its definitely got something on something on it already, the manuf instructions are less than helpful as all they talk about is lacquered flooring which this isnt.  Will ask benchmarx to try and get the correct instructions.  

Will get some hard wax oil on it soon and will test it on a offcut to make sure there is no problems with the existing oil.  

Thanks for all the help on this thread.

IP Logged

Sandy

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2015, 12:05pm

Sounds good Wozzy. Any pics??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2015, 7:32pm

Ended up popping down to wood finishes direct in Folkestone today with a sample of the floor. They said it had definitely been oiled but suggested using the maintenance oil to protect it further and give it a shine as it was very matt. So I got the satin osmo maintenance oil. Apparently it's a bit thinner so won't sit on top like hard wax oil would.
He then explained to me how to apply it, took about 20 mins to get floor oiled using a paint pad. Next cost I will use a cloth. Floor looks totally different.

I would upload a pic but I have had the internet cut off at home as I'm moving in soon so I'm using a iPad and can't upload from that. I can email u a pic if you want if you could put the pic on here that would be good!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print