Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:43am
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leak/Damp source - Water meter (Read 1975 times)
looneyboy
GDPR opt-out

Leak/Damp source - Water meter
Apr 18th, 2015, 6:27pm

Hi all

We are trying to identify an unknown source of water that is causing some damp in an old extension.  We have had a building surveyor to look at this  and has suggested a number of options to help identify the problem.  At the moment we are trying to rule out sources of the water thats causing the damp.

Clearly one option was to close the mains water stopcock and check the water meter to rule out if the leak is from the mains supply and the house. In doing this I’ve noticed that over a few hours there has been a very small amount of movement on the meter indicating a very minor loss.  (It is a very minor loss as its only moved 2 points on the meter’s large dial over 4 hours).

My question – is it normal to have some minor loss of water between the mains water meter and the stopcock, or should it be zero movement?

Thanks

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Leak/Damp source - Water meter
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2015, 10:30pm

I would be looking for penetration or rising damp .

Is it a solid wall. ?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Re: Leak/Damp source - Water meter
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2015, 11:27am

It is common for stopcocks to start leaking from the spindle when they have not been used in a long time. Also they don't always fully close off and any slight leakage in the house (a dripping ballcock valve?) will confuse the issue.

No, it is not normal to have water leaking between the meter and the stopcock.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print