Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:25am
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange metal box cavity in garage conversion wall (Read 2684 times)
pappy12
GDPR opt-out

Strange metal box cavity in garage conversion wall
May 7th, 2015, 3:03pm

Hi there!

I really hope someone can help me with this! I have just purchased a house that has a garage converted into a study room. On the wall where the garage door (still is) on the other side is a metal box cavity built into the plasterboard wall. The box is similar to a double electrical socket point, but it is not this. The box is much deeper (nearly the depth of my full hand). It has some light silicone sealant around the lip. When I tried to pull the box out (see photos), it only comes some of the way, there appears to be something impeding its exit (perhaps there are wires/cabling attached to the rear of it? I don't know).

A friend suggested it might have something to do with the garage door handle on the outside, but I doubt this. Especially as the door handle isn't that near to the cavity on the inside.

I shone a light onto the metal back of the box, there are two tiny holes at the back. When I try to see through one of the holes, I think I can see the soundproofing plastic sheeting behind, but it isn't attached to the box.

The conversion was done only a few years ago, so fairly new. There is obviously a reason someone has done this. Could it have been intended to be a very small safe? (There was nothing covering it on the outside).

Any idea what this could be? The room has been sound proofed, could this be anything to do with it? I can't see behind it and I feel that if I tug on the box with full force, it will rip the plasterboard out.

I would like to be able to remove it and plaster in the hole, or at least make a smooth surface. Could I at least saw off the lip that juts out a tiny bit and make good the wall for painting over?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Image 1Image 2Image 3

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Strange metal box cavity in garage conversion wall
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2015, 6:59pm

I would guess the same as your friend that it was something to do with the garage door. Can you not ask the previous owners?

If you want to cover it you will need to open up a small gap round it so that you can push it back a bit more than the thickness of the plasterboard. But you can guarantee once you have covered it up you are going to find you needed it after all!

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 1

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2015, 8:42pm

Is the garage door automatic and is there any signs in the garage where the box would be.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

pappy12
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2015, 9:59pm

thescruff wrote on May 7th, 2015, 8:42pm:
Is the garage door automatic and is there any signs in the garage where the box would be.

No, it's a standard door with a single lock. If you look on the outside though, even though the door is still there (possibly to comply with planning/building regs), the lock/handle on the outside doesn't relate to the metal box inside. Meaning they are not in the same position. The metal box is much lower down than the handle and not exactly center.

I'm tempted to shave an inch off the lip, reinsert the box such that it lies just behind the plasterboard, and seal it off.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print