Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roofing trays? (Read 3272 times)
Krais
GDPR opt-out

Roofing trays?
May 23rd, 2015, 3:43pm

Hi,

We are considering putting an offer on a house but the outside wall which is the internal wall of the adjoining garage has me slightly concerned. Amateur DIY is as far as my skills go so some advice appreciated.
The house is a fairly standard 2 floor house, and the garage butts into the side with a pitched roof. This is leaded on the outside where it meets the main house.

The images below show the inside of the garage, which I initially thought was a subsidence problem however the regularity of this I'm wondering if it is actually as expected and this is roofing trays or similar.
The material appears to be a rubber of some sort. Please can someone let me know if there is any concern here, or if it is fairly normal in modern houses.

Thanks!

See area of concern running diagonally along the roof line, roughly one brick from the roof beams:
Image 2

Closer look
Image 3

Even closer
Image 1

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Roofing trays?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2015, 7:15pm

These look like cavity trays, which are designed to direct any water that gets into the cavity to the outside face of the brickwork. So, as far as I know (I'm a joiner not a builder), they are fitted above the lead flashing but these look like they have been fitted below the lead flashing. If you did want to progress this house purchase I think you are right to be concerned and you would need to get a surveyor to take a good look at this, it looks odd to me.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Krais
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2015, 9:05pm

Thank you, I see what you mean and yes this is below the leading as it is on the inside of the garage.

I was advised by a roofer some time ago that my current house doesn't even have these, which is part of the reason we have occasional issues with the roof leaking.

I have found at http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/cavities,cavity%20trays,%20lintels%20and%20... that these may be cavity lintels, not cavity trays and that being the case may have been installed in the right place!

I would appreciate any more thoughts on this, perhaps these won't work as they should where they have been installed but ultimately is it a huge problem that they aren't installed where they are more needed?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2015, 8:17am

No, definitely not cavity lintels as are straight lengths of steel, folded into an inverted T shape to hold up the brickwork above an opening below.

The importance of the cavity trays depends on how much water gets into the cavity in the first place; this is dependent primarily on how exposed the wall is to driving rain, plus the type of brick and state of the pointing. Also it may cause more of a problem if cavity wall insulation is added, conversely of the cavity is ventilated it would be less of a problem, except you would have a colder house.

A further worry is that if they did this wrong what else have the builders got wrong? So you need to check that this work had building permission and was passed by the Building Control Officer as I assume this work was a later addition to the building.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2015, 9:43am

Looks to me as though they pitched a higher roof at build or the brickie got them in the wrong place.

Don't know how old it is but no damp or water seems to be running down the wall.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2015, 9:45am by thescruff »  
IP Logged

Krais
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2015, 4:37pm

Thanks for comments.

This is a 2006 build, and the garage was part of the original work so possible the brickie just got them in the wrong place as you suggest.
The material felt like rubber, not steel but I appreciate that could just be the bits I could get at.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print