Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 19th, 2024, 2:25am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
drawer runners for oak office filing cabinet (Read 3420 times)
handyman22
GDPR opt-out

drawer runners for oak office filing cabinet
Jun 2nd, 2015, 11:29am

i've recently been given an old/vintage chest of draws that are solid wood (oak i think) and i want to put them in the home office. the drawers dont currently have any runners on but i want to use the drawers for heavy office files. the wood seems in good conditon still and i was thinking about fitting some of these runners, http://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/heavy-duty-90kg-ball-bearing-slides , by chiselling out a small indent to the inside of the drawers and screwing these in. I've never really done any carpentry work so any opinions would be appreciated as im not sure whether doing this will make the drawer strong enough to hold the files. It says upto 90kg but it will probably be no more than 50

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: drawer runners for oak office filing cabinet
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:07pm

heeelllooo and welcome handyman22 Grin Grin Grin

runners need "space" to work
either around 12mm each side or underneath and this  encroaches as you come forward in other words the drawer box  must be smaller by the amount needed for them to operate for the drawer front to cover the gap it needs to operate

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: drawer runners for oak office filing cabinet
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2015, 8:30am

Unfortunately I don't think it will be practical to retrofit these runners unless the drawers have very thick sides and then you would need a router to cut the slot accurately enough for the runners to work.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print