Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:03pm
Quote: Spotted on the back of a T-shirt worn by a Bomb Squad official: "If you see me running, try to keep up!"

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Circuit breaker question and possible damage (Read 4212 times)
Oldman
GDPR opt-out

Circuit breaker question and possible damage
Jun 15th, 2015, 6:25pm

While I was testing a power outlet, the live wire side of the outlet touched the metal boxing and some sparks flew and knocked out the power for the entire house.  Both the breaker for the outlet and the main breaker were tripped.  After resetting both the breakers I got the power back up.  

I would like to know if that could of caused any potential damage to the electronics in the house that are on different circuit breakers in the breaker panel.  All the rooms in my house have properly grounded outlets except for one I just discovered where the grounding wasn't working properly.  That one room has two desktop computers, computer networking equipment that are all plugged into a surge protector.  So far all my electronics turn on fine.  Since the room isn't grounded properly I am concerned if outlet accident would have caused any damage to the equipment in that room.  I have no electrical background so if any certified electrician could answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Circuit breaker question and possible damage
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2015, 7:47am

Grounded is an American term, not UK.  Is this UK?

No damage will occur to your items, but an unearthed socket is dangerous as should anything plugged into in become faulty, the fuse, MCB, RCD etc will be unable to trip and clear the fault. An Earth is required for safety reasons, not to protect your equipment.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Oldman
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2015, 3:36pm

I'm not from the UK but not American either, I'm from Canada.

Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by unable to trip and clear the fault?

I turned off the power to the room with the malfunctioning grounding before checking the outlets and the grounding wires for outlets  were connected tightly and the ground wire was attached to the breaker panel as well.  

Would the grounding not work if the live and neutral wire were reversed?  That's the only other possibility I have not checked yet.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2015, 7:02pm

Hope Lectrician doesn't mind me contributing...

MCB and RDC work in different ways but for the purposes of this discussion you can assume they work by detecting current incorrectly flowing to earth - as you found out.  

Suppose the back box you worked on had been on the circuit with a faulty earth. When the live wire touched the back box the breaker would not have operated. This would have two effects:

1) the back box would still be live waiting for you to touch it.

2) depending on where the earth fault was, all other back boxes and face plates connected to it by the faulty "earth" wire would also have been live. That could also include the metal case to a washing machine, fridge or computer (Any metal cased machine that needs an earth).

Important you get the faulty earth fixed as it can be very dangerous.  

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Oldman
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2015, 8:36pm

So without the earth wire the breaker won't trip to stop the electricity from flowing?

After I found out the grounding wasn't working I relocated my surge protector to another room with working grounding via power extension cord.  Currently all the outlets in that room are not in use.

The room has 5 outlets which are all connected to one circuit that goes directly to the breaker panel with nothing else connected to it.  Even the lighting in the room is on a separate circuit which has working grounding.  I turned off the power to that room and checked the earth wire for all outlets and they are connected tightly to the right connector.  The wiring on the breaker panel looks good too so I am baffled why it's not working.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Oldman
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2015, 2:51pm

I figured out why the surge protector was displaying no ground for my outlets.  The contractor that finished that room a few weeks ago apparently reversed the live and neutral wires in the original outlet while adding the additional 4 outlets.  After correcting the wires in the original outlet, all of them are working fine now, I bought an outlet tester and tested all the outlets just in case.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2015, 9:20am

I'd still get an electrician to check the earth/ground arrangement. The earth must be "good enough" not just "connected".

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print