Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:12pm
Quote: The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths - Ambrose Bierce (1842)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do manufacturers overestimate their paint coverage (Read 2209 times)
Zac

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Do manufacturers overestimate their paint coverage
Jul 2nd, 2015, 5:15pm

I had a small back bedroom completely reskimmed about 6 weeks ago. I've just put a mist coat on using No Nonsense Trade Contract Matt (Brilliant W). I didn't thin it because the tub said it wasn't necessary for a mist coat. The tub says it covers 10-12 sq m. per litre. I've measured my back bedroom carefully and all walls and ceiling comes to about 27 sq m., certainly no more than 30 but I've used at least 8 litres of a 10 litre tub. I put it on fairly liberally but not too much I wouldn't have thought. Do the manufacturers generally grossly overestimate the coverage of their products?

I'm now intending to put a single coat on of Dulux Trad Vinyl Matt (Pure Brill W). I've read somewhere that you can get problems using different makes of paint/emulsion but I also read that you can use any make of cheap emulsion for a mist coat so I'm not anticipating any problems. Already with the mist coat the bedroom looks great apart from one or two places where the ceiling meets the wall and the paint has cracked, I think perhaps because I've put it on too thick. But would these disappear with a coat (or maybe two at those points) of vinyl matt?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Do manufacturers overestimate their paint coverage
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2015, 8:15am

Sounds like you have put it on too thick, I would always thin for a mist coat on new plaster, it makes it soak into the plaster rather than sit on the surface and potentially come away later, but manufacturers guides like this are only a guess as it all depends on the wall surface absorption and application method.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print