Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:40pm
Quote: Peace is a period of cheating between two rounds of fighting - Ambrose Bierce

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting job on door looks messy (Read 3033 times)
Zac

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Painting job on door looks messy
Jul 31st, 2015, 4:32pm

Hi everyone

I'm a complete novice to p & d. I've been using water-based Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood PBW to paint a couple of doors using a Purdy synthetic brush. The doors have a beading all round, about 2" from the edge. I sanded the doors and washed down afterwards.

After painting, the first door didn't look too bad but I've made a bit of a mess of the second one. I think the problem might have been that I went back over some areas that had run. So after two coats I sanded bits down and part of the skin came off and I had to sand further. I've now put another coat on but it still looks a messy finish - probably because I've been going back and 'feathering' (if that's the right term?) bits.

Someone's advised me that I should redo it using a rag roller but I've looked at a video on line where the bloke uses a foam roller, which looks to be about 9". If anyone can give any advice on this it would be welcome. Thanks.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Painting job on door looks messy
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2015, 11:44pm

It's very difficult to get a really even finish with water based satin paint, and you have learned the hard way to never go back over it as it skins so quickly which then pulls the finish. I find the small foam rollers you can get, about 100mm long, are the best bet and speed is of the essence when you are applying it.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Painting job on door looks messy
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2015, 6:11pm

And if you put it on too thick then it skins but then the paint beneath the skin takes ages to dry - and often the end result looks like orange peel.  I am not a fan of water-based paint for wood.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print