Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:41am
Quote: A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current Regulations Question (Read 2439 times)
Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Current Regulations Question
Oct 21st, 2015, 11:03am

Hi all,

I'm trying to locate the answer to some questions about current regulations for electrical installations related to rewiring. Typically, the more you look online, the more confused you get and the more different opinions you get. Therefore, I'm now doing what I think I should have done with questions like these and asked on here.

I'm almost at the end of the process of buying a house (built c.1930) that I know needs quite some work doing in terms of electrics (amongst others). I'm more than happy to do as much as I can in preparation for a qualified/registered trades to do the needful and sign off etc. I've got helping hands available for short time to do a lot of donkey work and SWMBO breathing down my neck to get works done ASAP, so I want to do as much as I can ready for qualified trades to complete what I cannot do.

1) I want to be able to chase all the walls for sockets and light switches for the back boxes, as i can do it at the same time as other messy/noisy work. I've seen some guidance that suggests that sockets must be a specific height above finished floor level, but then some comments saying it doesn't apply to renovation/rewire jobs, only to new builds. Please can someone confirm which version is correct? I realise it's probably covered in some regulations online, but I simply cannot find the exact section I need to answer this.

2) Following on from question 1, I want to be able to plaster up around all the boxes and other areas, but still allow the capability for the spark to run the cables afterwards. I was thinking of running conduit down from the back boxes below floor level, skim and plaster over, which would still permit the cables to be run as and when the spark gets to the job. However, again, I've read conflicting info online ranging from that this "shouldn't be done as the plastic coating of the wires interacts with conduit", then others saying that "it should be done as the plaster degrades the plastic coating" to "it's not a problem", to "yeah, I do it routinely", so I don't know what to believe, but want to know if there are any specific regulations preventing me from doing this.

3) On a slightly different topic, what is the opinion and thoughts of someone capable, but non-registered laying all the cabling out, up to the back boxes in preparation for someone registered/qualified to connecting up all the circuits? Is this frowned upon? Not acceptable? etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: Current Regulations Question
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2015, 10:01pm

Don't know the regs Sandy, Lec etc will answer that when they log on.

I would find a sparkie to do the job first then liaise with him/her as to what you can do that they will be happy with, they can also have stage checks on your work and tell you what to do/ needs to be done.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2015, 1:52am

thescruff wrote on Oct 21st, 2015, 10:01pm:
I would find a sparkie to do the job first then liaise with him/her as to what you can do that they will be happy with, they can also have stage checks on your work and tell you what to do/ needs to be done.

Definitely the best idea as different electricians will have different methods so they can advise on what they want you to do in preparation. They may also be happy to work with you and do the rewire in stages as you work around the house.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2015, 10:22am

I would definitely work with an electrician as suggested above.

However I believe in theory you can do the entire job yourself _if_ you make a Building Control Application. The problem is that the BCO may want loads of details in advance and for you to pay for someone to check all your work at various stages.

As I recall the height for sockets is between 450mm and 1200mm. Normally only applies to new houses not rewires BUT I have heard that some BCO insist on new heights if you are replacing back boxes rather than just rewiring old ones or if you are doing a major refurb or rebuild work. You aren't allowed to make things worse than they already are so no lowering sockets below existing heights. Our house was built with the new heights and we prefer it.

Best do the wiring before any plastering. Much easier than trying to pull wire through conduit.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print