Welcome To Ask The Trades!

Quote: I never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back - Zsa Zsa Gabor
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Air in central heating system (Read 5129 times)
woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 98
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Air in central heating system
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2016, 9:01am

Thanks I hadn't thought about the pressure relieve valve letting air in I'll give the water jar a go and see if it sucks  Smiley

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.
Total Thanks: 110
For This Post: 1

Trade: Plumber

Re: Air in central heating system
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2016, 4:22pm

Not many places air can get in, so best plan is to hold a glass of water under the open vent and get the Mrs to turn the boiler on and off a few time. ( about a Minute between cycles.)

With any luck or not the pipe should drink the water.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 98
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Air in central heating system
Jan 15th, 2016, 2:18pm

Last year I replaced my central heating system which was Hepworth plastic to a fully copper system. I also replaced all but three of the rads as the system had been badly affected by corrosion due, I understand, to the plastic pipes not being constructed with a barrier. I also had a new external Worcester Bosch oil combi boiler fitted and everything works wonderfully.

However I have a problem with air in the system. The first radiator after the boiler is constantly filling with air, not a bit of air but lots, in a week half the rad can be full of air. I have been hoping it would settle down but it is not getting any better.

I have tried lighting the gas, in case it is hydrogen from me being too heavy handed with flux, but it doesn't burn and I did flush the system out once with Fernox F3 and then, because the water didn't look completely clear, with Sentinel cleaner before refilling and using two packs of Fernox F1 protector ( it's a big 17 rad system).

Upon investigation (ie getting up very early) I have discovered the air is coming from the boiler. When the boiler comes on first thing in the morning there is a lot of swirly bubbly noise coming from the boiler and I can hear the air rush along the pipes to the radiator that it is filling with air. For the rest of the day the system is quiet and I can't hear any more bubbling along the pipes, however the boiler does seem to turn itself on occasionally to make swirly noises without actually firing the burner.

Before I contact W-B I thought I would ask if you have any idea what may be causing this.

Thanks

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print