Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:22pm
Quote: The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths - Ambrose Bierce (1842)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chimney and stove question (Read 6451 times)
Gh2girl
GDPR opt-out

Chimney and stove question
Feb 15th, 2016, 5:25pm

Hi all
Hoping you can help!
I recently bought my first house; it was a repossession so I didn't get any information on the house.
I'm looking to get a wood burner in the front room. At the moment there is an existing fireplace with a gap to install a fire. There is a gas pipe going into it. I'm not sure if the original chimney works but can see their is a Pre-fabricated Flue (Class 1 or 2, not sure which one) sticking out the roof. My question is....1) does this have to be 'lined' (I can only find out information on this for traditional chimneys) 2) can I have a wood burning stove 3) if It doesn't have to be lined how much approx would it cost to change it from a gas fire to a stove. Also I have filed the fireplace including the heart as it was hideous before! Would I have to replace the hearth for say granite? Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Gh2girl
GDPR opt-out

Re: Chimney and stove question
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2016, 5:29pm

Sorry to clarify the Pre-fabricated Flue runs from the fireplace (chimney is not used)

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2016, 4:52pm

I can't quite follow your description. Are you saying that the existing flue is not in the chimney?

I think you will have to get a Hetas Installer to come take a look and quote to install the wood burner. It sounds like there was a gas fire at some point and the flue liner might not be suitable for a wood burner.

I have used this company in the past..
http://specflue.com/
..but might be best to use a local company.

Most reputable stove manufacturers seem to recommend lining old chimneys as this helps the wood burner draw better and prevents Carbon Monoxide leaking into bedrooms through corroded bricks and mortar in the chimney.

Regarding the hearth..

If you choose a wood burner that has feet/legs and is certified as "incapable of raising the temperature of the hearth over 100C" then you might not need to do anything to the hearth. That's provided it's big enough. The hearth must be larger than the footprint of the stove see diagram 26 on page 38..

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_J_2013.pdf

If it's not big enough then you may need to add a piece of granite or glass of similar. The hearth has to be at least 12mm thick so as to form a step 12mm high to discourage rugs and mats from migrating too close. You might want to make it thicker than 12mm, or at least well supported, to avoid it being cracked if someone steps on the corner?

If you want to install a fire basket or stove that might make the hearth hot (eg It's not certified as mentioned above) then you need a "constructional hearth". This is much more complicated. It typically has to be quite thick (>125mm) See diagram 25 on page 37. However you might have one that thick already?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2016, 4:58pm

PS. If you have the budget wood burners from Clearview ...

http://www.clearviewstoves.com/

..are very good. We have a Clearview Solution 400. When it's set up right you can get lovely slow lazy flames. The glass also stays cleaner a lot longer than our other stove which is a different make but burns the same wood.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2016, 5:44pm

as an aside
a wood burner is an expensive time consuming lifestyle choice
if you have mains gas its far far cheaper per kw off heat
a 6kw from wood would require say 12kw off wood with 50% losses and maybe £1
the same heat from gas would be perhaps 7.5kw with around 20% losses at perhaps 35p
modern boilers are nearer 90% efficient so 10% losses

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2016, 8:38pm

+1

In the 1960s I grew up in a house with a solid fuel boiler. I remember my parents celebrating when gas and central heating was installed. A wood burner is great on a cold sunday afternoon with rugby on TV but I wouldn't want it to be my main source of heating.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2016, 10:06pm

I have a wood burner which is of course carbon neutal so good for everyone except the pocket.

If you have a ready  supply of wood great, if you have to buy wood, as BA said can be expensive. to give you an idea I've got through 3 tonne ish this winter and should get through at least one more.

Love wood fires with real flames roaring away but it comes at a price.

As for the flue get a guy in, I would expect it will have to be lined, average £1000.00 around here but depends on access etc.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2016, 11:31pm

i have pretty much unlimited source off free wood well enough for my 4kw wood burner in my shed lol
i like to heat up the workshop whenever it drops to arouind 8 degrees when not in use
this involves burning for about 70-120 mins every day or every other or third day dependand on outside temperature and solar gain
i heat it up to maybe 24-30 degrees to warm up all the metal and wood
now i really enjoy the heat the stoking and the warm glow along with the closeness to nature in the shed but the cost to do the same with an electric fan heater would be perhaps 20-30p without any effort
and by gas about 7-10p for the same heat

somtimes i will just run the fan heater for 40 mins with no effort for 25p as an hour off my time is worth more than 25p  Grin Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2016, 11:32pm by big_all »  

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2016, 9:34am

I recover a lot of my cost by reduced gas heating which goes off on the stat when ever the wood burner is on.

In addition theres a kettle on the top of the burner for making cups of free tea, I also use it for cooking vegies etc.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2016, 9:35am by thescruff »  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2016, 3:09pm

cooked several currys on mine  Grin

IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2016, 1:52pm

I love my wood stove  Grin  it's only a room heater (will be replaced with one with a boiler in as soon as I can afford it) but it still has a huge effect on the heating costs.  With this winter having been so mild, the gas CH has hardly been on at all.  In a hard winter it's knocking our gas usage down by around 30% with the added bonus of being the ideal way to cook a nice pot of stew.

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2016, 1:53pm

Should add that the majority of our firewood come from work in the form of broken pallets.  Look for ones marked as heat treated so they're not full of chemical preservers

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print