Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:02pm
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dead radiator (Read 3233 times)
harveys dad

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Dead radiator
Feb 20th, 2016, 12:03pm

last weekend noticed a waterstain on the kitchen ceiling - turns out that a central heating pipe was nicked by the joiner last may putting up a stud wall for the shower and the tiniest of drips started. Tiled floor so took down a section of ceiling and as luck would have it a plumber was parked in the back lane, 15 mins later section of pipe chopped out and replaced, jobs a good un and a tenner - bargain. All he did was turn off the cold water supply (combi boiler)and drain the heating from the run off in the kitchen radiator.Then water back on system filled up heating and hot water fired up rads bled no problem except later I noticed the rad used to drain the system was stone cold. This morning I have drained down again and replaced the lock shield valve - filled up everything is fine except this radiator is dead - it fills with water but it wont heat up - I'm perplexed, any help appreciated

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Dead radiator
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2016, 6:03pm

I assume that you are certain both valves to the cold rad are open in which case you probably have an air lock. If you check the pump it may have a speed selector switch, if so temporarily turning it up may blow the air into the cold rad. If this doesn't work make sure the pump is running then go round and turn the other rads off until the cold rad starts to heat up, you will probably hear the air blow into the rad, then give it plenty of time to get all the air out before opening up the other rad valves again.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

harveys dad

Ask The Trades

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2016, 7:19pm

Thanks will give it a go tomorrow and let you know

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2016, 11:31pm

Before you play with anything take the trv head off and check the plumber didn't put a coin/disc under the head to stop it working, also check the pin isn't stuck by pulling it up no more than 2mm then pushing it down.

After that turn one valve off and bleed the radiator then open it and close the other end and do the same
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2016, 11:32pm by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

harveys dad

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2016, 6:32pm

Sorry for the delay I did as suggested and closing the rest down worked, though it took some time . Many thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print