Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:51pm
Quote: If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting MDF Skirting (Read 2397 times)
Stu1975
GDPR opt-out

Painting MDF Skirting
Apr 12th, 2016, 7:53am

Hi

I have got some MDF skirting that needs painting - as house full as its a total renovation - might actually take the easy route out and get someone to do it if its a total pain to do.

Do i needs primer, under coat and top coat? Also any suggestions on brands to use would be good - I want to avoid them going yellow after time.

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Painting MDF Skirting
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2016, 10:29am

Normally MDF skirting comes ready primed and only needs a couple of top coats. If it's bare MDF I use an MDF primer undercoat (best applied before the skirting is fixed to the wall) then you will need to sand down all the fury edges that the paint brings up, usually second coat of MDF primer undercoat (with the skirting fitted) and then one or two top coats. As for paint everyone has their own loves and hates, personally I use Farrow and Ball or Dulux.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Stu1975
Re: Painting MDF Skirting
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2016, 6:30pm

woodsmith wrote on Apr 12th, 2016, 10:29am:
Normally MDF skirting comes ready primed and only needs a couple of top coats. If it's bare MDF I use an MDF primer undercoat (best applied before the skirting is fixed to the wall) then you will need to sand down all the fury edges that the paint brings up, usually second coat of MDF primer undercoat (with the skirting fitted) and then one or two top coats. As for paint everyone has their own loves and hates, personally I use Farrow and Ball or Dulux.

Thanks - it's bare MDF and already on the wall - looks like I've got plenty to do over the weekend!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print