Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:01pm
Quote: If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Waterproofing a block built shed (Read 4758 times)
RFdemon
GDPR opt-out

Waterproofing a block built shed
May 31st, 2016, 7:15pm

Late last year we built a single skin block and brick workshop at the bottom of the garden. It stood as a skeleton over Winter then we fitted the roof during the Spring. Once the roof was on we noted that every time it rained the block walls would become saturated and water would run down the inside for ming pudders on the floor. It was realised that the blocks we used were permeable and we were faced with how we could most  easily fix the issue.

One thought was to render the three block walls but access is difficult as the building was erected with only a foot between it and the boundaries. Do you think it would be possible to 'tank' the internal walls and floor to keep the water out then screed the floor in the usual manner?

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 1

Trade: Plumber

Re: Waterproofing a block built shed
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2016, 10:49pm

I would probably look at leyland Trueguard clear

http://www.leylandtrade.com/products/range/truguard-waterproofing

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2016, 7:51am

If it is letting so much water through that it is ponding on the floor then you have a serious problem, and I would think that the blocks could soon become damaged by frost so I think you need to find a way to keep the blocks dry.

As a chippy my first thought is to timber clad the outside face by fixing roofing lath vertically, put a breathable membrane over that then clad with a treated cladding. With such a small space to work it will be a challenge but not impossible.

With so much water getting through it sounds like there may be no guttering? If so you need to fit some to ensure the water off the roof is taken into the drains or dig a good soak away well away from the building.

IP Logged

RFdemon
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2016, 10:51pm

Thanks for the opinions. I had considered PVC cladding for the outside but the timber may be a good alternative. For info, the building has guttering fitted. The water which is finding its way into the building is just rain.

It serves me right for using the wrong blocks in the first place and I had thought about taking down the blocks and rebuilding in brick....... live and learn eh?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2016, 8:27am

If you are considering spending on PVC cladding a perhaps better alternative would be cement based timber effect panelling. It's extremely durable and can be painted the colour of your choice.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2016, 6:46pm

Did you build the block walls on the edge of the slab or is the slab larger than the building? If the slab is larger you may have to tank the outside at the bottom before cladding..

Slab size   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print