Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:20am
Quote: A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ideal classic FF270 not heating water (Read 4614 times)
Mtagrant
GDPR opt-out

Ideal classic FF270 not heating water
Aug 7th, 2016, 10:49am

Hi all,

I have an Ideal Classic FF270 boiler and seem to have a problem.
My wife noticed this morning that the water was not as hot as usual.
Upon investigation, I was unable to get the boiler to switch on for hot water only. I tried switching off, turning up dials to max with no luck.

I then switched the thermostat up to max and switched the central heating on too, and the boiler fired up and the radiators warm up. I cannot tell yet whether this is heating any water.

Yesterday I turned off the electricity to change a light switch, so assume it may be related. Checked the control unit (British Gas UP1) and that all still seems to be set up correctly and I am controlling heating / hot water switch on / off ok. Now consistently if I turn on heating the boiler fires up, but only hot water it doesn't.

Any advice greatly appreciated....thanks, Marcel

IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 1

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Re: Ideal classic FF270 not heating water
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2016, 11:43pm

More often than not, this is a sign that an electronic valve has failed. There may be two of these devices on seperate circuits or a single 3 port device controlling both HW&CH, usually located near the pump. These valves usually have a manual lever on the side which can be pushed across and latched into place forcing them to the open position. If you switch on the HW only and manually set the valve, the system should fire up but sometimes the microswitches inside the valves are at fault, in which case it won't work unless the CH is switched on too, as this appears to be working.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2016, 9:44am

Are we talking Classic Combi ?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Mtagrant
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2016, 11:52pm

No it isn't a combo boiler
I have found I have an immersion heater so have been using this, but still have the problem. Have been pointed to replacing the actuator or the mother within. Would like to narrow down first before I buy any parts. When I manually open the actuator valve, nothing happens and wonder if that is normal or if there could be a problem with the pump, connection or control unit instead. It works fine with the central heating on (pump, control etc)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mtagrant
Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2016, 11:55pm

Thanks Headrush. I have been away for a few days, and not looked back at the system as have the immersion heater. I have two meaning one each for hot water and heating respectively. I have opened the manual lever and nothing happens (thought it might fire up). Also when I switch the central heating on, the hot water still doesn't heat up.

Headrush wrote on Aug 10th, 2016, 11:43pm:
More often than not, this is a sign that an electronic valve has failed. There may be two of these devices on seperate circuits or a single 3 port device controlling both HW&CH, usually located near the pump. These valves usually have a manual lever on the side which can be pushed across and latched into place forcing them to the open position. If you switch on the HW only and manually set the valve, the system should fire up but sometimes the microswitches inside the valves are at fault, in which case it won't work unless the CH is switched on too, as this appears to be working.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2016, 6:17pm

With the DHW valve manual open, boiler and pump running. The water in the cylinder should heat up, especially if the radiators are getting hot. It may be low on system water. Check the small tank in the attic to make sure it hasn't run dry, sometimes the ballvalves get stuck in the off position or there could be an obstruction in the tank outlet. Also check for air bleed screws above and around the cylinder, there may also be some in the attic, air locks are a common problem with cylinders..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2016, 10:56am

As above, lock the dhw valve in the open position and turn the heating on, does the cylinder pipes start to get hot.

Che ck the header tank has water or the boiler pressure if it's a sealed system.

Check around the cylinder for air vents with the valve open.

With the dhw calling is there any resistance on the manual slider.

Have you tried turning the cylinder stat up and down a few times.

The pump you should be able to hear if its running.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it safely there are checks you can make.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print