Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:03am
Quote: They didn't know it was impossible, so they did it - Mark Twain

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rough cost to knock through wall. (Read 2701 times)
Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Rough cost to knock through wall.
Aug 9th, 2016, 8:56am

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a property but would want to knock through from the kitchen into the dining room to create a kitchen diner. I'd also probably want to extend the overall floor area by including the cupboard under the stairs into the build.
The structural work is not something I'd want to tackle so would need a builder to carry this out.
Any rough idea as to probable cost would be appreciated.
Hopefully the floorplan is attached to this thread.
Image 1   

Gammy

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Rough cost to knock through wall.
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2016, 1:25pm

It's impossible to say without seeing the job as there are so many factors to consider. We did a kitchen last year where a builder had knocked two rooms into one, load bearing so needed steels, knocked a chimney out and fitted new windows, electrics, etc and I think it cost her about £10k
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2016, 1:26pm by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2016, 2:43pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm 99% certain that a steel would be needed if the kitchen/diner wall was removed, hence my reluctance to carry out any of the structural work.
Just wanted a ball-park figure for this, making good the plaster work and possibly a bit of gas/electrical realignment. All the fit-out stuff ( flooring, tiling, kitchen units etc ) I can manage myself.

Property is generic 1930's 3 bed brick terrace, of which there are tens of thousands dotted around the country, many with said kitchen/diner knock through.

The back story is that I had agreed to buy a similar property with all the above work, and more, already carried out. I'd arranged for mortgage, paid for surveys, searches etc and then 4 weeks later the seller decided he no longer wanted to move. Angry This new place is about 10 doors down the street and the costs of the refurb will influence what I'm prepared to offer.

I've never had any proper 'structural' work done to a property before so I'm not sure how to go about it with regard planning, drawings, inspections etc.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Gammy

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2016, 8:02am

My advice would be to find a good builder and he will arrange everything. For a job like this you will need Building consent, depending on the scale of the work they may not require drawings, but they will want a structural engineers calculations for the steel and padstones. I've done this online for about £30 otherwise its probably more like £200 but, like I said, a good builder will sort all this for you.

IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2016, 2:45pm

Excellent, Thanks for the advice.
Just need to buy the house now.

IP Logged