Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:23am
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plastic or Copper? (Read 6747 times)
Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Plastic or Copper?
Sep 16th, 2016, 9:38pm

Hi,

I'll be getting quotes shortly to install a gas boiler, hot water and heating system into my new house ( actually an old house, but new to me ).
I've read about heating systems now being offered with plastic pipework rather than traditional copper.
The prices of plastic seem to be much cheaper than copper so was wondering whether this is something I should consider or should I avoid like the plague?

Thanks

Gammy

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Plastic or Copper?
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2016, 7:37am

Mmmm....I was an early adopter of Hep20 when it first came out.  I had some very long tricky runs to put into my old house and so the instal was part plastic and part copper.  Because we weren't there all the time and/or tight-fisted, a lot of the time some of the radiators in unused rooms were not on.  This meant that there was no flow in the pipes.

I'd never heard of haematite. I'd stuck in the corrosion inhibitor but didn't have any of those clever magnet jobbies.   Then we came to start using the house more and use some of those radiators that were off.  Only they stayed off and on inspection I found the Hep20 pipe totally blocked solid with haematite and yet a copper pipe connected in the same run was clear.

It may be something to do with the early pipe being gas porous or somesuch and that later pipes are better.

I don't know.  What I do know is that I'd never put the stuff in again.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2016, 8:00am

I've had a similar experience with plastic pipe, again Hepworth microbore, last year spent 6 months taking it all out and replacing with copper. However plastic is a lot cheaper and easier and if you don't expect to live there more than 20 years then it would be an option; I would go for Speedfit though rather than Hepworth, and use 15mm rather than microbore.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2016, 8:19am

I would always use copper from choice However, Barrier pipe has it's uses and I have used it in the past with no problems.

Saying that any job is only as good as the tradesman that installed it and the skills level has fallen dramatically over the last 10 years

IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2016, 2:00pm

I've started using Speedfit in attics and wherever I need long runs without any joints. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't like the idea of push fit joints in locations where you may not be able to get to them easily in the future, like tiled floor bathrooms for example. Plastic pipe does have good thermal properties compared to copper where a lot of heat is lost under floors without proper lagging..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2016, 9:43pm

We have a mixture in our house. No problem with either.

If a lot of your pipe will be exposed I would use copper as it looks a lot neater.

If you will have to pull a lot of pipe through floors then plastic is a lot easier to install.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2016, 7:12pm

Plastic below floor and copper upstabs is now very common, almost the norm.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2016, 7:15am

Don't know if they sorted since I retired but Vermin was proving  a problem with some plastic pipe and fittings, Hep²0 especially, underfloors and lofts can be a problem in some areas.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2016, 8:06am

Headrush wrote on Sep 19th, 2016, 2:00pm:
.... Plastic pipe does have good thermal properties compared to copper where a lot of heat is lost under floors without proper lagging..

Does heat loss matter (at least between ground and first floor) ?  Just means the heat goes into the room above, surely ?

Plastic is OK as long as the water is circulating.  That's what did for us...some rooms the CH was switched off and the black crud came out of solution.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2016, 9:32am

londonman wrote on Sep 30th, 2016, 8:06am:
Headrush wrote on Sep 19th, 2016, 2:00pm:
.... Plastic pipe does have good thermal properties compared to copper where a lot of heat is lost under floors without proper lagging..

Does heat loss matter (at least between ground and first floor) ?  Just means the heat goes into the room above, surely ?

Plastic is OK as long as the water is circulating.  That's what did for us...some rooms the CH was switched off and the black crud came out of solution.

Yes and no it the pipes are in a heated space, No in an unheated space, yes the heat is wasted but can benefit freeze prevention.

As for crud, the old plastic pipes were not Barrier pipe and air ingress through the walls was common. if any heating system is sound with never any air, sludge and corrosion shouldn't occur with or without inhibitors. I said shouldn't because stray electric currents and dissimilar metals can cause both and very quickly.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2016, 9:33am by thescruff »  
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2017, 10:54pm

thescruff wrote on Sep 29th, 2016, 7:15am:
Don't know if they sorted since I retired but Vermin was proving  a problem with some plastic pipe and fittings, Hep²0 especially, underfloors and lofts can be a problem in some areas.

About 12 or 13 years ago I was working for wolseley.  I asked the hepworth rep about this, and apparently barrier pipe is less attractive  to our furry friends than the non barrier.  I don't know if this was true or not, or if it was just another way of convincing people to buy the more expensive barrier pipe, as both types were stocked at the time.

I also noticed how all the regular "proper" plumbers all seemed to favour copper pipe, whereas plastics and pushfit were mainly bought by general builders and the t***urday morning diyers

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print