Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:09am
Quote: The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Regulations with temporary power to garage? (Read 4916 times)
smb1973
GDPR opt-out

Regulations with temporary power to garage?
Sep 20th, 2016, 2:06pm

Hi,

I want to fit some lights and a couple of sockets in my garage, which has no power run to it.

I do not plan to run permanent power, as it won't be used that often and it would mean digging up a lot of patio slabs.

My intention is as follows: -

1. Fix a couple of fluorescent ceiling lamps and wire them into a junction box with a switched circuit.
2. Fix a metal box double socket and wire that into the junction box also.
3. Wire a standard 3 in plug into the junction box.
4. On the odd occasion I use the garage, I'll temporarily run an extension lead with RCD into the garage, plug the wired in plug into it, and use the lights and sockets.
5. I'll remove the extension lead when not in use. It will never be left wired up.

So my question is, does Part P apply to this?  I'm only running a temporary extension cable, which I know Part P doesn't apply to, but I'm permanently fixing the socket and light switch to the wall and the lights to the ceiling, rather than just plugging lights/tools into the extension lead.

Any advice much appreciated.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Re: Regulations with temporary power to garage?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2016, 9:39pm

I'm 99% certain the wiring you propose to install in the garage would be classed as "Fixed wiring" and so would be covered by Part P.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

smb1973
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:10am

CWatters wrote on Sep 22nd, 2016, 9:39pm:
I'm 99% certain the wiring you propose to install in the garage would be classed as "Fixed wiring" and so would be covered by Part P.

Thanks for that.  How about if I didn't bother with the switch and the junction box and just had: -

1. A box socket fitted to the wall with a plug on the end that I plugged into my extension need when I was in there. (So basically an extension lead but with cable and socket fixed to the wall)

2. Had the lights on their own cable and plug that I also plugged into the extension lead.  So it's just a plugin set of lights, that happen to be attached to the wall.

Does that make any difference? Or is it just the act of attaching something to the wall instead of it being loose that causes Part P to apply?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2016, 10:25pm

This is a bit like asking...

If I want to go 60mph in a 30mph zone would I get away with it if I did it on roller skates instead of in my car? You might well escape a fine by doing it on roller skates but it would be safer for you if you did it in your car.  Obviously the safest answer is not to speed in the first place.

Quote:
So it's just a plugin set of lights, that happen to be attached to the wall.

If the lights come prewired with a plug then that's fine. If they are intended for connection to a fixed wiring installation then wiring them to a plug using stranded/flex would be incorrect installation.

IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2017, 6:58pm

i've got temporary lights in my garage.  they are small (10W?) led flood lights (chinese ebay specials) which are bolted to some steel market stall clips (cheap as chips from screwfix/toolstation) with a plug on the end of a reasonable length cable.

i'd advise that if you opt for this route, you should open the back of the flood lights and check that they are properly earthed (non of the ones i bought were)

to my mind, this is just a portable device plugged into an extension.  whether the law would regard it in the same way, i wouldn't like to say

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2017, 1:25pm

Quote:
Hi,

I want to fit some lights and a couple of sockets in my garage, which has no power run to it.

I do not plan to run permanent power, as it won't be used that often and it would mean digging up a lot of patio slabs.

My intention is as follows: -

1. Fix a couple of fluorescent ceiling lamps and wire them into a junction box with a switched circuit.
2. Fix a metal box double socket and wire that into the junction box also.
3. Wire a standard 3 in plug into the junction box.
4. On the odd occasion I use the garage, I'll temporarily run an extension lead with RCD into the garage, plug the wired in plug into it, and use the lights and sockets.
5. I'll remove the extension lead when not in use. It will never be left wired up.

So my question is, does Part P apply to this?  I'm only running a temporary extension cable, which I know Part P doesn't apply to, but I'm permanently fixing the socket and light switch to the wall and the lights to the ceiling, rather than just plugging lights/tools into the extension lead.

Any advice much appreciated.

JFDI.  Who's going to know ?

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print