Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 19th, 2024, 3:53am
Quote: Nothing is illegal if one hundred well-placed business men decide to do it -Andrew Young

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
floor ariund kitchen units (Read 2728 times)
ckelly0172

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

floor ariund kitchen units
Nov 17th, 2016, 7:52pm

Hi, a question about engineered wood floor in thr kitchen if i may.... I.want to fit the floor around my kitchen units without the need for a trim. Am i right in thinking i can trim off the bottom of the units so the flooring slips underneath them for a neat finish. If so what tool is required?

Thanks for any advice
Craig

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: floor ariund kitchen units
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2016, 7:51am

If you take the plinth off the front of the cabinet you should see four plastic feet, these are adjustable so make sure they are all touching the floor before you start. It is normally possible to cut the bottom off the side panels with a fine toothed hand saw (it depends what sort of access you have) but it is so much easier with a multi tool/multi-cutter. Since Fein's patent lapsed everyone makes one and the Dewalt one for about £100 works well. They are very noisy though so you will need ear plugs.

Either by hand or multi tool lay a scrap piece of flooring on the floor next to the side panel. Rest the blade on the scrap so that it supports the blade as you cut the side panel and you should get a perfect cut at just the right height.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print