Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:13pm
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Full or partial chimney breasts and stack removal? (Read 999 times)
JS2016

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Full or partial chimney breasts and stack removal?
Dec 23rd, 2016, 4:52pm

I am going to renovate my house and am considering between removing the whole chimney breast and the stack on the roof or just on two floors and reinforce the 1st floor ceiling with RSJs. I have an edwardian house with a rear projection where there is a chimney that is shared with the neighbour. I want to convert my loft, which would be L-shapped, with a bathroom over part of the rear projection. The chimney can be fully removed if the neighbour agrees with the removal of the exterior stack, but if not, I can only remove on the ground and 1st floors, as the neighbour has already removed his on his ground and first floors. If I only remove the chimney breasts on the ground and first floors I will have to reinforce it with 2 RSJs, as per the structural engineer's drawings. Which of the two options would be more cost effective, considering the work involved? How much should each of the jobs cost (just for the removal, not including the plastering and painting, as that would have to be done anyway and scaffolding is already in place for the loft conversion)? Thank you very much and have a good Christmas.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print