Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:44am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Late finish of house re-wiring job (Read 3508 times)
Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Late finish of house re-wiring job
Jan 11th, 2017, 11:02pm

Hi,

I took on a sparky to re-wire my 3 bed semi. He is a mate of my son who has not long finished his training. He quoted what is the going rate for this area but wanted paying in cash  Undecided and the job was going to take 3 weeks and it would all get signed off as Part P compliant.

Agreed to the quote, the request for cash and the timeframe. The main proviso was that it was finished for Christmas, and that didn't mean 5pm on Christmas eve!!

Started on 3rd Nov and 10 weeks later and he's still not finished. Much of November and all of December he went missing, and it turned out he was finishing off another big night job in London.

Lots of apologies and a promise to get it sorted asap straight after the new year but appearances have been sporadic at best.

Currently still have no outlet power upstairs ( since Nov ), no lighting in the kitchen and no working sockets in the living room.
So far I've given him 50% of the price for the job.

As you are all trades guys and if you had performed as badly as this chap ( not that you would I'm sure ) would you begrudge the client ( ie me ) holding back some money from the final bill as compensation for all the aggro and late delivery, and if not, how much would be reasonable?

Gammy

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Late finish of house re-wiring job
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2017, 2:34pm

Make sure you get your certificate first before you say anything about final payment.  I'd be inclined to delay the final payment for double the length of time he has kept you waiting.

Or deduct 20% which is the amount of Income Tax he's not paying but should be  Shocked

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2017, 6:33pm

i'd give him the final payment as a cheque, but only once i was holding the ticket to say it's been done properly and if i was in a really bad mood when writing it out i'd put a date sometime in the next few months

note:  i'm not in one of the trades covered by this forum, i'm just a keen amateur s**t stirrer

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Gammy_leg

If in doubt, dig it out.

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2017, 10:33am

Well he managed a full 2 days this week. Didn't come in yesterday, probably because of the snow. Oddly I still managed to drive 60 miles to and from work without too much trouble.

This special little snowflake is a Millennial which I think has a big bearing on the situation. The job obviously doesn't offer enough scope for him to "make a difference"

IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2017, 8:13pm

So he wanted the going rate but wanted paying cash and then f***s you about for 3 month.

Should have got a firm in🤐

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print