Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:17pm
Quote: If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sealing draft through wooden floor (Read 1810 times)
Olly L

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

sealing draft through wooden floor
Feb 13th, 2017, 9:16pm

Hi There,

I've just bought a Victorian terrace (2up/2down) with a raised wooden floor in the front room. The flooring has been done quite well and I really like the finish so I don't want to carpet it, however there are two air bricks at the front of the house to ventilate under the floor and it is creating a bit of a draft with cold air coming up between some of the floorboards.

What would be the best way to seal the air gaps in the floor to improve efficiency without ruining the finish of the floor or looking stupid? I wondered if some kind of varnish or something might do it or if I could just find some kind of clear resin to paint along the cracks?

Are there any reasons why sealing it might not be a good idea?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Olly

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: sealing draft through wooden floor
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2017, 10:52pm

You need to keep the ventilation under the floor but there is normally no reason not to fill the gaps in the floorboards and there are lots of ways of doing this from filling with a mix of sawdust and PVA woodglue to gluing in wood strips. However the easiest is probably to fill with a gun applied mastic and there are some specifically marketed for this job but any good flexible filler will do; I would recommend you pick a darker colour than the floor.

For the neatest finish apply masking tape along both edges of the adjacent floorboards just leaving the crack visible. Apply the mastic, smooth it off then peel the masking tape off before the mastic sets. Try an area that is out of the way first to make sure you like the effect. This should give you a long term seal as the mastic will move with any subsequent movement in the floor.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9
For This Post: 0

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Re: sealing draft through wooden floor
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2017, 8:17pm

i did ours with dark brown exterior frame seal (very cheap in toolstation, not that i'm tight or anything)

if the floor has already been varnished, it's quite easy to gun it along the joins, smooth it off and then remove any excess off the boards with a damp sponge.  it hardly changes the appearance of the floor at all but makes a huge difference to how long the room stays warm once the fire has died down

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print