Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:55pm
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baxi 105E boiling then going off (Read 2128 times)
Martin475

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Baxi 105E boiling then going off
Apr 15th, 2017, 12:35pm

Can anybody help. My boiler recently stopped working. I have replaced the diverter and hot water diaphragms because I had them anyway. I have also replaced the Thermistors as one of them had degraded. So after doing this I expected it to work. Unfortunately it fires up when switched on and then makes awful boiling / banging noises. The heat indicators rapidly rise to 80 then it switches off. The obvious thing is the pump, so I removed the pump wired it up (I am an electrical engineer) and it works fine. I then thought maybe the circuit board is not switching the pump on (although I could hear it, but you never know) so I powered the pump individually to ensure it was running constantly. I have drained the system and refilled so there cant be a total blockage as far as I can see. ANY IDEAS?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 1

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Re: Baxi 105E boiling then going off
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2017, 3:14pm

It does sound very much like a circulation problem as you already suspected. Maybe the pump runs but is just weak. I've replaced many pumps in various systems that appeared to work fine but didn't have the strength to circulate round the rads.

Another thought (however unlikely), has one of the flow or return valves at the boiler been inadvertantly closed off. Maybe they have even broke. Again I've seen valves that seem to rotate on the outside but nothing is happening on the inside.

Does the flow pipe from the boiler heat up quickly? How far along the pipe does it heat up? If the answer is yes but not very far then you either have a weak pump or a restriction in the circulation. If the pipe heats up gently from cold, that's because it's drawing plenty of cold water from the return, assuming all else is well with the boiler.

When you run the DHW, can you see the diverter valve moving freely? Does it back off fully when you close the tap? I'm clutching at straws here but there could be all manner of things causing a circulation problem..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Baxi 105E boiling then going off
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2017, 4:51pm

Are we talking hot water only mode or heating only mode, a blockage would be the best guess at the moment.

Did you check the ports on the pump and the valves for sludge.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2017, 4:51pm by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print