Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:57am
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Am I being ripped off? (Read 3435 times)
Pip

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Am I being ripped off?
Jul 1st, 2017, 10:38pm

I am buying a house which needs completely re-doing. It's a large 7 bed house, 5 reception rooms, 4 bathrooms. Building is great but the inside needs ripping out and new putting in. I've had a quote off a builder and I want to know if it's any good or am I being ripped off?

It's having a small stair case put in, needs re-plastering downstairs but not up. Kitchen is coming out and all carpets coming out, tiles in kitchen is coming up and new going down. Guttering needs re-doing.
The quote includes doing this and labour for installing new bathrooms and kitchens but we shall buy the units ourselves so that isn't in the quote. One of the ensuites is coming out and being turned into a walk in wardbrobe, and a small chimnley is coming out of a bedroom and being filled in. Getting the old doors sanded down and re-painted. Getting a handful of windows replaced (just the double glazing) and having a door taken out and a window put in. And adding patio doors. Getting two new boilers and all new radiators.  Think that covers everything.

Anyway, I've been quoted £87,000 for this work. Does this sound about right? I know it's hard to tell without seeing the place and the work that's required but hoping to get an idea of whether to get a quote from someone else or whether this guy is legit.

Many thanks!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Am I being ripped off?
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2017, 8:19am

This is a bit like asking, I've been offered a car for £10,000 is it worth it!

Really its impossible to say but I would always recommend getting at least a couple of quotes, especially for a big job like this.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2017, 8:29am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

stuart45

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2017, 8:56am

With a job of that size and amount of cash involved I agree that you need a number of quotes from respected tradesmen, or small firms.
Price will depend on your location as well.
When you buy an old property it's easy to throw a lot of cash into it if you don't keep a tight hold of the budget.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2017, 9:18pm

As above at least 3 quotes ( not estimates ).

I would also list exactly all the work you want doing with as much detail as possible, it tends to reduce the surprise extras if you start off with a comprehensive tender.

It also gives you a better idea if everyone is quoting for the same works.

For example I would consider two boilers instead of one larger one,  you can get boilers from £1000.00 to several 1000.00 so what have they quoted for ? cheap and nasty or top of the range. price could be the same.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2017, 5:34pm

Some of the things on the list might require Building Control to be involved. For example partial removal of a chimney.  There are fees for that so perhaps check if they are included in the quote?

I don't see anything that is likely to need Planning Permission unless you are in a conservation area or it's a Listed Building.

You didn't mention insulation? Already done? If the walls are solid then internal wall insulation might be worth doing if plastering the whole ground floor.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2017, 9:25pm

And you don't say where you are.  There is a huge difference in rates across the country.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print