Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:13pm
Quote: If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kitchen tap pipes (Read 4047 times)
AJ1977

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Kitchen tap pipes
Aug 6th, 2017, 9:24pm

I want to fit a new kitchen tap of a similar style to the current one.  However, in starting this job, I found the pipework to the current tap did not have flexi hoses nor any nuts to remove the pipework.  The pipes basically continue, without any fittings, directly into the current tap. Nothing to unscrew or pull apart.

My question is, is this normal?  It is a new build house and I feel I ought to complain to the builder - I can't find any way to remove the tap they installed!  

I have inserted pictures to show what I have tried to described.

TapTap3

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 1

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Kitchen tap pipes
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2017, 6:30am

The way it has been installed is actually the preferred professional way.  Flexi tails are more for DIY installs or awkward areas.  Yours looks fine, although one is showing signs of weeping were the pipe enters the tap.

You cut the pipes back and fit flexi tails.  It's a pretty easy job.  You would want to purchase a pipe slice to get a nice neat and square cut though.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/copper-pipe-cutters/cat7620008

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2017, 12:35pm

There's Normally (good plumber anyway) an isolating valve you can undo to aid removing.

Solid tails are better than flexible as they don't vibrate, although flexibles are the most common for all new mixer taps.

You'll struggle to get a pipe slice in there as they are too close, so you may have to go with a junior hacksaw and clean the pipes up later.

Can't see what you have from the pic and they may be built in, but, you'll need backflow prevention and observe the direction arrow on the body, which should be pointing towards the outlet

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2017, 12:38pm

Ps Once you've cut the pipes the tails should screw out right to left as you look at them.

IP Logged

AJ1977

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2017, 12:50pm

Thank you.  I'll have to take a close look again to see what room there is to cut the pipes.  There aren't any isolation valves fitted.  (Why make anything easy for future users?!  As long as it is quick and cheap to fit in the first place when the house is being built is the main thing!)
I've a feeling I'll either be taking new tap back to the shop or hiring a plumber to do this for me.
But at least I know it wasn't a complete Bodgit & Leggit job to begin with so wont be complaining to the house builder (not about this anyway!).

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2017, 2:40pm

As it's a newish house I'm guessing you have a combi boiler so both the hot and cold are at mains pressure?

If not then you may prefer a tap with different size hot and cold channels to speed up the hot flow. These are available but there aren't many of them around.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print