Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:48pm
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New build house footprint (Read 2209 times)
buildynovice

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

New build house footprint
Oct 3rd, 2017, 12:07pm

I've got permission to build a new house in my garden. Is there any flexibility on moving the footprint? I've been told that as long as the footprint does not increase in size (dimensions remain as approve), you can move its by up to 50% distance from the agreed location.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: New build house footprint
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2017, 6:31pm

Not a builder but I would be very surprised if you could move the footprint without getting the wrath of the building dept on your back

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2017, 11:27am

I assume you just have outline planning permission at the moment, rather than full planning consent? You will need to get proper plans drawn up and unless you are very experienced I wouldn't advise you to try this yourself. I think you will need to find an architect to draw up your plans and he/she will be able to advise what you can do on your site. Planning departments seem to vary wildly over what they will and won't allow and a good architect will get things through planning that would be blocked if you tried to do it yourself.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2017, 11:11am

buildynovice wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017, 12:07pm:
I've got permission to build a new house in my garden. Is there any flexibility on moving the footprint? I've been told that as long as the footprint does not increase in size (dimensions remain as approve), you can move its by up to 50% distance from the agreed location.

If you have full planning permission then it's probably not wise to move the position of the house more than a few inches. If you need to move it reapply.

If it's only outline planning permission this really only establishes the principle that a house can be built. You now need to apply for full planning permission and should show on that application exactly where you want the house to go.

Sometimes planners like all houses in a road to line up. They have concept of the "building line" and can be very fussy about this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print