Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:27am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
extend a power cable (Read 2787 times)
MikeW

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

extend a power cable
Nov 21st, 2017, 5:52pm

Simple question really....& yes, I will try to find a reasonable sparks to help out when we figure out the best route!

We have a big new projector screen to use with a new projector.  The projector is "ultra short throw", which means it sits on a table 40cm from the wall and throws a 100" display - very impressive!

The electric screen, however, arrived with about a 5' lead.   Not even long enough to reach the floor Sad  

Don't really want to have it dangling to an extension cord (as we have at the moment!) - would like to route it either round the ceiling and down the corner, or round a door frame behind the screen when down.

Question is this: to avoid a lumpy extension plug, & therefore to be able to hide the power in a 16mm duct box, what is the best/safest/easiest (perm any 2 from 3 perhaps!!) way to extend the cable?
I read about cutting & soldering, also 'butt connector' crimps, as well as spliceline connectors.
In the distant past I have used 'choc blox' connectors to good effect, but I am sure there are neater/safer/tidier ways.

Welcome the thoughts.   In Leicester area in case there are trades here who can offer to help (at a cost!) - new to the forum so maybe that is not allowed!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: extend a power cable
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2017, 8:36pm

Replacing the flex would be preferred.

Or, even better, a ceiling mounted socket and Fused Spur Outlet.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Re: extend a power cable
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2017, 9:24am

Is the flex permenantly attached or.does it plug I  with a kettle lead type connector?  If it plugs in then that would be the easiest solution, long leads are easy to get

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print