Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:03am
Quote: I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Am I being ripped off? (Read 2568 times)
endreas

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Am I being ripped off?
Jan 23rd, 2018, 11:10pm

I had a contract to replace a single flat garage roof plus covering a small extension made up through a third party .  £3,600.   This was supposed to be a weeks' work to ensure all seals /seams were good as previous roof was leaking. This was supposed to have a 10year guarantee against leaks.  The work started and finished in one day, it was seriously tested under very wet weather conditions last weeks, we had a raging storm. There is more water coming into the garage than before!

The contract was done through a third party to protect me from cowboys and overcharging. I have not paid yet.  I have a feeling the rushed job has compromised the workmanship.   There was also damage caused to an outside door which now lets in water!

I expected a roof to last this time, it was a saved for investment.  I hope someone can give an opinion, this is distressing me a lot.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Am I being ripped off?
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2018, 6:27am

If the roof is leaking, it is clearly not fit for purpose.  I wouldn't be handing over any money until it is sorted.  I expect the job has been subbed out in a rush.

You need to complain to your point of contact and give them the chance to correct any defects.  

Is it a firm local to you?  Well known?  A national?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

endreas

Ask The Trades

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2018, 10:20am

The people who made the contract are coming out this morning.  There are more leaks after the rainstorm last night.

I've been ripped off so many times by local tradesmen, why a third party wrote out a contract this time.

It's a local tradesman.  After my experiences with builders and tradesmen  no money will be paid until the job is done properly this time.  I suspect this tradesman was not a roofer as he claimed.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2018, 11:16am

What material did they use to cover the roof?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joopster

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2018, 6:54pm

It sounds like the quoted for a week’s work and it only took one day: so yes, I’d consider that being ripped off! £3600 might be about right for a week.

Why don’t you point that out to them, and suggest they put in some extra time to fix the leaks?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print