Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:32pm
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shower tray support (Read 2358 times)
Mikew212

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Shower tray support
Jan 29th, 2018, 1:55pm

Hi all new to the forum. I am a fairly capable fit enthusiast I am fitting a new shower tray in my en suite it looks like it is cast concrete. I have 8 legs to put on it but my plan was to place it, level it up, fix buttons on the wall then fill the void below with expanding foam to add extra support. I am aware of how much the foam will expand and I will l3ave the front plinth off until the foam is dry. My question is is there a possibility that the foam may expand unevenly and crack the shower base?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Shower tray support
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2018, 2:52pm

Pointless. The foam will never give you support over the long term. If you are that worried then why not put some wood supports underneath it ?  The foam won't crack your shower tray but could push it out of alignment.

Or support it on WBP ply

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2018, 7:08pm

Expanding foam can indeed expand unevenly and exert quite a lot of pressure doing so. I once made the mistake of squirting some into a plasterboard stud wall. It looked fine on the side I was working. Later I discovered the other side was "pregnant" and some tiles had popped off.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Mikew212

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2018, 10:09pm

Thank you for your replies I have fitted the tray just on the provided legs atm levelled it all up but there seems to be some slight flex on the front edge not sure why but will investigate further

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print