Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:55pm
Quote: Nothing is illegal if one hundred well-placed business men decide to do it -Andrew Young

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bottom immersion heaters (Read 1962 times)
Hughie
GDPR opt-out

bottom immersion heaters
Feb 15th, 2018, 1:01pm

My enquiry is regarding the immersion heater in my hot water tank. It is positioned at the top of the tank like normal, but consequently does not heat all the water in the tank, just the top half. I realise this might be by design as the immersion heater is only to be used if the gas boiler fails for some reason as it is normally an expensive way of heating water. However I have a solar panel system that will power my immersion heater before it exports energy to the grid and as such it is better than free for me to heat the whole tank with the immersion heater when the panels are active. I have thought about some stirring mechanism, or finding a hot water tank that has an immersion heater at the bottom, but they don't seem to exist. Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: bottom immersion heaters
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2018, 5:45pm

If it’s top entry, you need a longer element.

You can get cylinders with two elements, one at the bottom, one half way up.  They are side entry.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: bottom immersion heaters
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2018, 9:33pm

Look up secondary circuits, assuming it's practical with the existing cylinder and plumbing installation. It Makes a loop off the hot water circuit so you get virtually instant hot wat at the outlets.

You take the hot from the top of the cylinder as normal then extend the pipework back to the bottom of the cylinder E>G> the cold feed with a circulating pump on the return.

More info if requested.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print