Welcome To Ask The Trades!

Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Outside Light - Safety? (Read 11022 times)
rabbit_rabbit
GDPR opt-out

Re: Outside Light - Safety?
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2004, 12:31pm

Lethal is the word I would use.

Yes, if it has to be taken from a ring as a spur, take using 2.5 T/E  to an FCU (Fuse Control Unit) then using 1.0 or 1.5 T/E to PIR light WITH cpc (earth). Ya can of course take to a non-switched FCU then onto the switch then onto the PIR if ya want to.

I have yet to come across a PIR light that is Class II (no earth required) but I stand to be told of one, if it has a square within a square symbol on it then it is Class II else it is Calls I and an EARTH is required.

RR

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher
Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Outside Light - Safety?
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2004, 11:44am

Please note that I'm not a qualified sparky so I offer the following in good faith only, and I may be overruled by someone who is better qualified.

What you describe sounds dangerous. In order to run that circuit you could run a single fused spur from the 13A double socket, and have the light/PIR detector on the other side of a 3A fuse in that spur. All cabled with 2.5mm T&E up to the fused spur, then (possibly) 1.0mm T&E to the PIR. No break in earth anywhere (you deliver the earth to the PIR unit, if it doesn't need it then cap it off).

However in my experience these lighting accessories would normally be powered from a 5A lighting circuit, not the 30A ring main, in which case 1.0mm T&E would be the feed.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

squiggle
Outside Light - Safety?
Apr 16th, 2004, 9:09am

I'm still in the process of trying to sort out minor niggles in my mother's house...

I recently changed the PIR light outside as the glass had broken and the switch was in a stupid position - in the "guest beddroom" and blocked by wardrobe. I got round to removing the old installation yesterday and was quite surprised at what I found. The power to the light was supplied from the back of a double socket and was in 2 core cable. That cable was loose and want under the carpet before going up a wall where it joined the light switch. From there, the wire to the light was 1mm twin and earth. Was this safe?  I can for example see an idiot DIYer like me assuming that the earth on that cable as being an earth when in reality it wasn't connected to anything... The main reason for asking is that light was fitted at the same time as my mother had all the wiring checked and redone when she moved in.

I'd also like to ask about what I've done with the new light. I've run it to a socket but have wired the last bit on flexible cable and fitted a plug with a 3A fuse. Is that OK?  And as well, I wired that to a 5A junction box and from there on ran in 1mm 3 core & earth to make it easy for me to have a "courtesy light" in the porch. It runs R = Live, Blue=Neutral and Yellow=Switched Live from the PIR. It works well but is it allowed?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print